Opening in Brick Foundation Near the Footing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking for the entry point point of the mains water pipe and was excavating on the exterior of the front brick wall by digging right beside the foundation, and 8 courses of brick below ground level I reached the footing of the foundation. I noticed that in one place on the first course of bricks above the footing, there was a missing brick creating an opening through the foundation. It seemed very deliberate. Any ideas what it could have been for? See the attached pic.

tempImageNcCpt0.png

Sponsored Links
Pipe or cable? Unless the foundations flooded and it was to let water out.

Where is the DPC?

You could clean it up and mortar it shut to keep rats out.

The DPC is a few courses of brick further up than the last visible course in the picture.

What you see in the picture is only the excavated part below ground level. This opening has dirt on the inside, i.e. there is no cavity or pipe or cable left in there. It was also fully covered in dirt on the outside before I excavated.

I patched it up with some old brick and mortar and then I filled back the area to the original ground level.

I just wonder whether this opening could have been deliberate, but I cannot see what purpose it could play currently? Could it be related to hydrostatic pressure or something? But I don't see how.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back