Probably Covered a Million times....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Im currently digging out the footings for a rear extension. The ground height outside sits at one brick course below DPC. I have then dug down and found 3Brick courses and two block courses to the foundations of the original house. I have dug down a little past the foundation say 400mm at the moment. so In total the strip is at about 1m+ at the moment. My question is the builder has stated to dig the foundations to 450mm by 1100mm and wait for building control to inspect them. Now does this mean 1100 from the top of the foundation?

Thanks in advance as I know this has been asked a millions times before

Sponsored Links
No from the existing finished ground level. If it's not flat you'd need to step the foundation. The trench must be square and flat

Listen, for the millionth and one times... Foundation depth is from ground level.

Btw it should be 600mm wide for a cavity wall, and 1000mm deep is normally adequate if the ground is good.

When we built our single storey extension I excavated a metre down from existing ground level only for the planning officer to state I had to go lower than the top of the main house footings which were about 300mm lower . The mini digger had been returned and I wasn't looking forward to hand digging when the officer said as long as i put reinforcing mesh in it'll be ok (y)

Sponsored Links
I hope it was the building control officer that asked you to do that and not the planning officer, the planning officers don’t generally get involved with the technical, construction process.

I excavated a metre down from existing ground level only for the planning officer to state I had to go lower than the top of the main house footings which were about 300mm lower . T
Standard.
There will be a reason your house footings are at that depth. It may be that the ground around your house was artificially built up. Whatever the reason, you would always expose the existing footings and dig yours to match, even if it means going down 2.4m like wot we did once.
105015-a278f8f66efdece5d9e952c5beac6da0.jpg

105016-86164acbccc94cbd22da17f518615627.jpg

Last edited:
I hope it was the building control officer that asked you to do that and not the planning officer, the planning officers don’t generally get involved with the technical, construction process.
Yes it was building control.:whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back