Wall position on foundations

wave train. If you had ever worked on a residential building site small or large, you would know that there is no self certifying. on foundations. They all come under inspection by either LABC, NHBC building control or independent building control. Who ever the builder has chosen.

Care to elaborate wavetrain?

I am refering to 'self certifying' by NHBC. The NHBC is reguarly exposed by the media to be nothing more than an insurance/trade company funded/(in effect owned) by the large building companies. Owners of houses with major defects have often found their NHBC 10 year garrantees to be effectively worthless. If anyone has missed the media coverage concerning the NHBC just google 'NHBC scam' to get started.

Sponsored Links
Building regs, nhbc etc are guidlines for any old bod to come along and build something without the need to actually do any design work.. so in 20yrs the building will still be there..

Walls can be placed eccentrically to foundations (do it all the time for large commercial/industrial units).. but doing this increases the bearing pressure on the edge of the foundation exponentially.. so for standard cavity walls its not normal practice to put the footing anywhere but under the wall centrally..
In the end of the day you are looking to have the centre of gravity of the wall within the middle third of the strip footing width..
Inner leaf loading tends to be about 2x that of exterior brickwork..

So either get an engineer involved to calc if the footings are ok for the bearing pressure, or do as suggested and increase the footing so they are central and therefore no need to check design..

Just bear in mind that the loads are probably very small here and the foundation is probably twice as large as it needs to be.

Having said that the person that should decide, really, is the designer that carries the PI insurance. Everybody else, including the BCO, is irelevant.

If the BCO does say it's OK I suppose you could ask him for a copy of his PI insurance - tell him it's just in case something goes wrong. You might want to stand back when you do in case you get injured in the back-peddelling.

PS. If I remember correctly, it's the centrum of the wall that should be directly on the centre of the foundation. But I might have dreamed that bit.

If the BCO does say it's OK I suppose you could ask him for a copy of his PI insurance - tell him it's just in case something goes wrong. You might want to stand back when you do in case you get injured in the back-peddelling.
Youtube it!

PS. If I remember correctly, it's the centrum of the wall that should be directly on the centre of the foundation. But I might have dreamed that bit.
Had to look that one up, http://www.thefreedictionary.com/centrum
Maybe you mean centroid, http://www.thefreedictionary.com/centroid

Sponsored Links
Ahh yes. Knew it was something like that. I must have been away that day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back