Does anyone know what is wrong with my CD/DVD re-writer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has a HP Compaq nx6110 laptop.

In device manager the CD/DVD writer says drivers are corrupt does this mean the drive is faulty? If so can I get a replacement drive or does someone out there know how to fix it.

Thanks to all those who answer.

Sponsored Links
You don't need a new drive. The "drivers" are pieces of software that define the specifications of how the device works (you get "drivers" for printers, sound cards, monitors, disk drives - all sorts of things).

If they are corrupt:

1) Look for the Installation Disks that came with the laptop (or the DVD writer if it was bought separately)

2) Look at the DVD writer and see if you can identify the maker and model

3) On the affected PC, go to "Start" "Control Panel" "System" "Hardware" "Device Manager"
This will show you a list of the bits of hardware installed on the laptop.
You will see a sub-heading "DVD/CD drives" or something like that.
Click on the "plus" sign "+" and it should show you the one you are having trouble with.
Double-click on that, it will open a panel for the DVD drive; click on the "Drivers" tab and it will show you an "Update Driver" button.

If you found the installation Disk, insert that and click on "update driver". If you couldn't find the installation disk, do it anyway, and Windows will try to find the best one it can. Presumably you/your daughter has recently done "Update windows" when connected to the net?

If that doesn't work, you can "uninstall" the DVD drive (not by physically unplugging it, but with Windows commands) and it will probably re-install itself correctly afterwards.

Questions: Have you got the installation disk, and, do you know the make and model of the DVD drive; and, What version of Windows is installed?

You won't have drivers on a disc. Use John's 2nd idea and uninstall the driver, then restart the pc. It should be detected and windows will re-assign the driver for it.

I've tried uninstall and install new hardware.

Message box says hardware installed but there are problems and your hardware may not work correctly.

I cant use installation disk as the drive does not work.

Thanks for your advice though.

Sponsored Links
Is "update driver" any good? If you do it while connected to the net it might find a driver on the microsoft site.

If you know the make/model of the DVD drive, you could ptobably download one from their website.

If you right click the drive in device manager, then click properties. Disable the device, click apply. Then try and uninstall the driver. Restart the pc. Then back in device manager, enable the drive again and click apply. If Windows doesn't detect the drive and try to re-install a driver, restart the pc again.

Delete the device from your system completely, re-boot and all should be ok.

Back