toshiba laptop ignores my cd's help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a Toshiba laptop with a CD writer/DVD reader drive on it but when I put any kind of disk in it the disk never starts up. I know not all disks will auto start so I try clicking on the icon for the drive and sometimes you hear it whizzing to look at the disk with a little flashing cd icon by the mouse curser flickering but it never actually does anything, so basically I cannot read disks.

Any ideas or can anybody help please? Not being able to read disks means I cannot install anything which is really awkward.

It is a P15-S409 Toshiba Satillite and I think it was one of the few you could buy in widescreen at the time.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Have a listen to the drive when you insert the disk. Does it sound like it's spinning at all or does it just click or make no noise? Common for motors to die and it will mean a new drive.

cheers Igorian

I have just got hold of a lens cleaner cd and put it in.

When I put it in it has writing on it which says to put it in with the arrow pointing this way etc (dont know why that matters), anyway I have noticed now that the writing comes out in virtually the same place each time, so it would appear the drive is not turning I think now. If this is the case can anything be done? Does it have a little elastic band that could be broken like the old tape drives or is it done differently, cogs etc?

I am pretty good with taking stuff apart and repairing things so would this be the way to go with this drive, or should I stay clear?

They're direct drive, sounds as though the whole CD unit is knackered, best to replace the entire CD drive.

Also, I know it sounds overkill, but how old is the laptop, may be time for an entire new system?

Actually scratch that, just checked the model number, it's quite new. You could try some like here

Or type toshiba laptop spares into google.

Sponsored Links
If the motor is dead, then i'm afraid it's a new CD drive. You might get one from here. Alternatively, you could get a USB drive, which may be cheaper, although not as convenient.

Also, CD cleaners are pretty much useless. Better to clean the laser (carefully) with a lint free swab and some IPA, not that I think this will help in your case.

Cheers guys.

I have now tried to clean the lens with no changes to the problem.

It doesn't seem that obvious how to remove it if I have to change it, any tips? It seems to fit in as perfect as the battery without the release button. I have looked all around it and cant believe you have to dissmantle the whole laptop, there must be a trick to it somewhere. It looks like it would slide out like the battery if you could find the release.

happyhero said:
Cheers guys.

I have now tried to clean the lens with no changes to the problem.

It doesn't seem that obvious how to remove it if I have to change it, any tips? It seems to fit in as perfect as the battery without the release button. I have looked all around it and cant believe you have to dissmantle the whole laptop, there must be a trick to it somewhere. It looks like it would slide out like the battery if you could find the release.

It's held in by a single screw. I think it's marked F6 on that model. Remove the screw and the drive should slide out.

happyhero said:
I try clicking on the icon for the drive and sometimes you hear it whizzing to look at the disk with a little flashing cd icon

When talking 'icon', is that an icon on the desktop?
Have you tried 'My Computer' > right click the cd/dvd drive> select 'Open'

Sponsored Links
Back