laptop cant enter bios

so i thought i would boot it from xp cd it starts inizilizing set up then nothing on screen ? the cd drive works ive tried reading xp disk when op is running sorry but this was what i asked at the begining this is the problem i just thought someone on here that seems to know all so they keep saying might have a clue to the problem . and not just make us all feel so small as if because we are asking for help that we know nothing
Read your original post again - carefully. Not an object lesson in clarity is it? Makes fault finding somewhat more difficult.
So we try to help and get put down.
Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

Sponsored Links
suffolklad said:
so i thought i would boot it from xp cd it starts inizilizing set up then nothing on screen ? the cd drive works ive tried reading xp disk when op is running sorry but this was what i asked at the begining this is the problem
But it isn't the problem - it's just something you've found while going about fixing the real problem in the wrong way.

i just thought someone on here that seems to know all so they keep saying might have a clue to the problem .
Are you familiar with the expression "skating on thin ice"?

and not just make us all feel so small as if because we are asking for help that we know nothing
OK, gloves off then.

If you feel small then it must stem from you trying to do something that was very stupid, and that was before you were told that it was the wrong thing to be doing. And yet you press on, trying to install the wrong operating system, from the wrong CD, when an installation isn't even needed.

Have you eliminated the possibility of other hardware faults?

Have you tested the hard drive for media integrity?

Have you rested the RAM to make sure that an installation will work?

And if you want to know what rude is really like: you're behaving like a pratt.

FFS. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
suffolklad said:
so softus please do tell us all how to fix the real problem i would love to know
Us all? Do you represent many people?

Fixing the problem involves diagnosing it. Diagnoses involves carrying out some work with the computer. I've already given you two examples of basic tests that need to be performed, and you haven't responded to those questions.

tested hard drive ? it will boot op so i take it tits ok and when i boot from cd it doesnt get as far as checking hard drive for installing windows .Have you rested the RAM to make sure that an installation will work? sorry but what does this mean would it effect my problem of not booting from cd? never heard of resting ram

suffolklad said:
tested hard drive ?
That was the question. Now what's the answer?

it will boot op so i take it **** ok
I don't have the first clue what "****" means, but booting is not a thorough enough test.

and when i boot from cd it doesnt get as far as checking hard drive for installing windows .
I'm completely bored with reading about your attempt to boot from the WRONG INSTALLATION CD.

Have you rested the RAM to make sure that an installation will work? sorry but what does this mean
It means:

a) That with faulty RAM it's pointless doing anything; and
b) That I would test the RAM; and
c) That I misspelt the word "tested" as "rested" (apologies for that).

would it effect my problem of not booting from cd?
Just when I thought I couldn't be more bored with hearing about that...

never heard of resting ram
Well, you have now.

Frankly, I've had enough of this. It's one thing to be an amateur, but it's another to fail to understand basic questions and act on basic advice, so I declare myself out.

ok dont worry i will figure it out in the end but dont think i will be posting my results on here sorry but softus you have been so rude i only asked a simple queistion

ok dont worry i will figure it out in the end but dont think i will be posting my results on here sorry but softus you have been so rude i only asked a simple queistion

Tut, tut.
Have you tried Start/run. Type cmd
at prompt type format c:

It will definitely clean out all the dross from the hard drive

Before this descends into bickering and gets locked, lets just leave it that the OP was not 100% clear when he first posted and changed topics after he had another problem rather than starting a new thread. I'm sure he is very sorry

To the OP. It might be worth asking the Mods to split the latter part of the thread as you have hijacked your own thread with a second problem that has nothing to do with getting into the BIOS which was your original question.

so i thought i would boot it from xp cd it starts inizilizing set up then nothing on screen ? the cd drive works ive tried reading xp disk when op is running sorry but this was what i asked at the begining this is the problem i just thought someone on here that seems to know all so they keep saying might have a clue to the problem . and not just make us all feel so small as if because we are asking for help that we know nothing

With regard to this problem. Does the backlight of the screen stay on or go off? If it is the latter, try plugging a monitor into the external Video out, as it may be trying to switch Video outputs for some reason.

MarkBarl said:
Before this descends into bickering and gets locked, lets just leave it that the OP was not 100% clear when he first posted and changed topics after he had another problem rather than starting a new thread. I'm sure he is very sorry
I don't know why you just couldn't have left it alone.

To the OP. It might be worth asking the Mods to split the latter part of the thread as you have hijacked your own thread with a second problem that has nothing to do with getting into the BIOS which was your original question.
He didn't hijack anything, let alone his own post. He just failed to explain the basic problem right at the beginning, which was the one that was causing him to want to boot from a CD. I'm sure that he's not in the least bit sorry.

With regard to this problem. Does the backlight of the screen stay on or go off? If it is the latter, try plugging a monitor into the external Video out, as it may be trying to switch Video outputs for some reason.
It doesn't matter if it is - for the umpteenth time, [re-]installing a laptop from the wrong CD is the wrong solution to any problem.

Could I ask why do you conclude it is the wrong CD? OP has already stated that he gets the "Setup is inspecting Hardware" screen which is where the autoboot starts from. If it wasn't a bootable CD it would boot the OS He has also said that he tried another CD with WinXP pro on and got the same results. Also he states that he has tried the CD in another machine and it worked. What is your reasoning for saying that it is the wrong CD?

To the OP. According to this site, the laptop should have come with a recovery CD to do what you are trying to do. That page also mentions this site that can supply the recovery media if it has been lost.

Could I ask why do you conclude it is the wrong CD?
Yes.

OP has already stated that he gets the "Setup is inspecting Hardware" screen which is where the autoboot starts from.
There's no call for running Windows Setup at all, so whatever that CD does is irrelevant.

If it wasn't a bootable CD it would boot the OS
I don't know why you think that's at all relevant.

He has also said that he tried another CD with WinXP pro on and got the same results.
The very fact that he tried to run Setup from an XP Pro CD, when the laptop was running (and is licensed for) XP Home, reveals exactly how much he knows about what he's doing. Not only it is stupid, but it's a breach of the license agreement.

Also he states that he has tried the CD in another machine and it worked.
Well whoop-de-doo. :rolleyes:

What is your reasoning for saying that it is the wrong CD?
Because it isn't the right CD.

I've already pointed out, but you appear not to have read, that he should be using the manufacturer's CD for that laptop, because it is a slipstreamed image that includes the correct drivers for the on-board hardware.

You've even pointed this out yourself, so I can hardly believe you're asking.

Notwithstanding all of that, any CD would be the wrong one, because he shouldn't be [re-]installing Windows at all.

Sponsored Links
Back