Lenovo Thinkpad X60s won't boot

HAL is Hardware Abstract Layer, basically what connects your hardware to the software

Why cant you boot a CD? and do a flat install of windows, what happens

Sponsored Links
Well, yesterday, when I tried, it loads all the drivers, and then when I'm about to install it can't find the HDD. I guess I can try again, now? But it seems very strange.

Would it be easier to just copy the hal file over through USB? And then see if windows will start properly? Or will it require a full re-install?

Well, yesterday, when I tried, it loads all the drivers, and then when I'm about to install it can't find the HDD. I guess I can try again, now? But it seems very strange.

Would it be easier to just copy the hal file over through USB? And then see if windows will start properly? Or will it require a full re-install?

HAL.DLL will be unique to your hardware you would have to find the exact model of laptop to copy it from

Connect your HD to your PC and remove all partitions, then without re-applying them put it back into your laptop and boot to a windows setup CD

Then report back here exactly what happens

Sponsored Links
I am in the middle of trying a repair from my xp disk. Only problem is, it's asking for an administrator password now, but at least it has noticed the HDD.
I have no idea what the administrator password is as I only have the laptop a couple of weeks.

If this doesn't work, I'll do a full re-install I guess.

Thanks guys for your patience and help. It seems to recognise the HDD now. Not sure why it didn't yesterday mind you. I did run it through some tests through my PC yesterday and maybe it fixed any problems on the HDD. But this missing hal.dll file seems to be the problem. I do not know the administrator password but have contacted the seller to find out what it is. Hopefully a repair is all that is needed. If not then a full installation will be done.

Briefly, if I am to re-install from scratch, should I USB up the HDD to my PC and format/delete partitions there before installing windows or will I just do it all in the laptop?

To be honest its standard practice to do a fresh clean install on any 2nd hand laptop/pc that's bought

you have no way of knowing what the sellers browsing habit's are like and if it has ever contracted a virus

So contacting the seller is wrong way to go

Boot to windows disk, drop the partitions, on a 40gig drive partition 50/50 anything larger then C should be no more than 20gig with D being the rest of the drive

Do flat install to C including latest service pack, drivers, any essential app/utils like Office, Java, flash etc.... literally go as mad as you want installing whatever you use

Then download Ghost or Acronis and take an image of C and store it on D in a folder called Backup, it will show up as 1 file, either GHO for Ghost or TIB for Acronis

Then if you ever get a virus or it becomes slow it only takes 10 minutes to go back to day 1 when you took the image!

Hope that helps

It just doesn't matter what I do I cannot get the laptop to start windows. It's melting my head at this stage.

Now that I have the laptop recognising the HDD again, I was able to format and create a new partition. I even managed to run setup and got windows installed on the HDD until the point where it asks you to restart and remove any floppy disks that may be in drive A. Of course, I'm not using floppys, so I did nothing, restarted and then the laptop asks me to press any key to boot from the CD! I press nothing because I don't want to boot I juts want to complete the setup, but the laptop just hangs there.
I have tried changing the order of the boot to start with the HDD but it also hangs and I have tried booting from the CD again and selecting repair but again, it just hangs once the HDD has to do something.

Ok.....update.

Somehow I managed to get windows installed and working. Of course, I was then left with the dreaded drivers issue. After hours of looking at Device Manager and downloading drivers from Lenovo's support pages and trialing and erroring my way through my windows drivers, I managed to get all the drivers sorted bar 2.

The 2 I haven't solved yet are PCI Device and Unknown Device. I have no idea what drivers I need for either.

It's a Lenovo Thinkpad X60s with Windows XP pro installed.
What I can tell you is that I have no Audio currently. So I'm guessing one of these is a sound card issue.

Help! :(

Sponsored Links
Back