laptop cant enter bios

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi a friend asked to look at his lappy its an advent 6522 and for some reason i couldnt get into the bios the keys to use are CTRL-ALT-S pressed simultaneous on boot up so i found out on the internet doesnt seem to work? am i pressing correct keys? so i thought i would boot it from xp cd it starts inizilizing set up the nothing on screen ? the cd drive works ive tried reading xp disk when op is running. the system needs the operating system reinstalled its rather clogged up with old programs etc. any one had or worked on one of these laptops?
many thanks paul

Sponsored Links
hi thanks seems as del was key to enter bios even though web site told me otherwise managed to get intop bios changed boot to9 boot from cd still wont boot xp disk get setup is inspecting your computer configuration then blank screen nothing else happens what do u think the problem is?

suffolklad said:
what do u think the problem is?
We don't know - you haven't told us about any of the original symptoms.

Sponsored Links
hi laptop is as above advent 6522 and when xp cd is placed in drive it wont boot, does it matter if cd is same as laptop has xp home on base retail version and we tried to boot it from an xp pro cd?

hi problem is the laptop just needs operating software reinstalled thats why ive been trying to boot from cd drive . when i try to boot from cd i just get a blank screen

suffolklad said:
hi laptop is as above advent 6522
So you said.

...and when xp cd is placed in drive it wont boot
But why do you want it to?

does it matter if cd is same as laptop has xp home on base retail version and we tried to boot it from an xp pro cd?
What are the symptoms that of the original problem that your friend asked you to help him/her with?

hi neeed to reload xp because its so slow corrupted just never been done needs a clean install

suffolklad said:
hi neeed to reload xp
Well if you "reload" (whatever you think that means) XP Pro over XP Home then you won't be able to activate it using the original Product Key.

And if you don't use the CD that came with the laptop then it's likely that some of the on-board devices won't work afterwards.

...because its so slow...
Well then, why don't you fix the problem that's causing it to be slow?

...corrupted...
What are the symptoms of it being "corrupted"?

just never been done needs a clean install
It needs reinstalling because it's never been reinstalled? What kind of logic is that?

hi yes my first thought so i booted lappy and checked i could read cd files from op system. this has really got me bugged cant understand why it wont work?

if you can read cd, you can boot from it. setup will do it.
As others have said. it will stuff your machine, but eh.

Reinstalling windows does not make it go faster or make it 'better'. follow the advice above first.

stuff machine ?????????? will not make it go faster ????? sorry but have you never reinstalled windows it always runs faster after fresh install on an old sytem

sorry but it will read cd but won t boot from it thats why i am asking i cant understand why wondered if any one else had come across same problem

stuff machine ?????????? will not make it go faster ????? sorry but have you never reinstalled windows it always runs faster after fresh install on an old sytem
Well, I suppose you know best.

I wonder why you're looking for help on an Internet forum.

Sponsored Links
Back