Rectrieving data from laptop HD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A neighbour of mine bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop approx 8 weeks ago. It was performing as it should but her two year old daughter pulled a couple of keys off, so she contacted the vendor and they said they would repair it. She sent it off and three weeks later it arrived back with a new keyboard fitted.
When she booted up the system was in factory settings with all her personal stuff erased. After several phone calls the vendor admitted that they replaced the hard drive with a new one because the installed HD was faulty. She protested that there wasn't anything wrong with the hard drive, therefore would they send the 'faulty' one back. It duly arrived and this morning I exchanged the new one for the original.
After the initial boot up sequence a message said "No OS installed on disk" or similar wording. I then reinstated the new one.
The purpose of this inquiry is to ask if there is an inexpensive way to check if there is anything on the disk. I am aware there are hard drive enclosures to convert a hard drive to an external, but the price, makes the exercise prohibitive.
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Have you thought about adding it as a slave drive in a desktop pc? This should allow you to view whats on there

might just be a blank HD they sent back, how are you to know?

Thanks for the replies.

There would be problems with connections, JH.

I think you are correct Breezer, but I would like to make sure.
Just to see if any of the family photos can be recovered.

Sponsored Links
doesnt need to be slave if you use that niffty looking usb adaptor

Back