Does bore size matter in flexible tap tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just replaced my kitchen tap monobloc tails with new ones and noticed that the new ones are a smaller internal boar than the old ones that came with the tap. Does it matter , I do not notice any difference in water pressure out of the tap. - See picture for comparison.
IMG_20240108_131407545.jpg

Sponsored Links
It can matter, but if you don’t notice a difference then it’ll be fine.

Sponsored Links
Good grief, that's a very narrow diameter. Where did they come from? If it was me I'd send them back and get new ones - 10mm is really the narrowest to be used IMO. If you're handy and have a vice then they could probably be drilled out.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Good grief, that's a very narrow diameter. Where did they come from? If it was me I'd send them back and get new ones - 10mm is really the narrowest to be used IMO. If you're handy and have a vice then they could probably be drilled out.
From a plumbers merchant/supplier local but with a few branches in the area. Drilled out - I thought the bore that i was looking at would be the the same for the whole length. Don't think I will bother drilling it out for the cost of replacment and risk the chance of filings getting into the tap cartridge.

Can having a small diameter cause or be a problem. Should I swap or leave be as I do not see any change of flow.

From a plumbers merchant/supplier local but with a few branches in the area. Drilled out - I thought the bore that i was looking at would be the the same for the whole length. Don't think I will bother drilling it out for the cost of replacment and risk the chance of filings getting into the tap cartridge.
You'll probably find that the rubber hose (edit spell) will widen out. There could also have been a manufacturing fault that ended up with an orifice so small. I've never seen tails with that small a bore.

Obviously as you have mains pressure and a tap that probably has a water saving aerator then it hasn't affected the flow and if it doesn't then does it need changed, probably not but I could see that getting clogged up if anything worked it's way down to that through the mains. You'd be surprised at the amount of gunk that can get caught in mains water filters and aerators in taps

Last edited:
You'll probably find that the rubber hose with widen out. There could also have been a manufacturing fault that ended up with an orifice so small. I've never seen tails with that small a bore.

Obviously as you have mains pressure and a tap that probably has a water saving aerator then it hasn't affected the flow and if it doesn't then does it need changed then probably not but I could see that getting clogged up if anything worked it's way down to that. You'd be surprised at the amount of gunk that can get caught in mains water filters and aerators in taps
When I brought it I wasn't sure if I needed 12mm or 10mm thread so I brought bot from the merchants with the proviso that I could bring the unneeded one back. I ended up needing the 12mm thread which is in the picture.
just looked at the 10mm ones i am taking back and they too have a smaller hole that my old ones, that manufacture are Embrass peerless and the ones in the picture that I used are Masterflow MFLEXMT1215 os 2 different makers but both smaller bore than my old ones

I guess as long as the inlet is the same size as the outlet then there would be a limit to any restriction, the one in your pic though does seem extremely small and as suggested, I've never fitted anything that small. If I was supplied that I would take it back without even fitting it TBH.

I guess as long as the inlet is the same size as the outlet then there would be a limit to any restriction, the one in your pic though does seem extremely small and as suggested, I've never fitted anything that small. If I was supplied that I would take it back without even fitting it TBH.
As I dont do this all the time I just thought that was how all the new ones were now --- not so then !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back