Can I reuse tap tails?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to change the monobloc tap in a washbasin. It has flexible tap tails connecting it to to the water supply.
Do I need to buy new tap tails in addition to the new tap or can I unscrew the tap tails from the old tap and reuse them onto the new?

Sponsored Links
The new tap will normally come with new tails, but so long as the 'o' rings are in good nick and the braid on the pipe has not been kinked, all should be well.
John :)

New taps usually come with flexis but, as long as any 'o' rings are intact then you can use them as often as you like... Only thing you're likely to need are new olives for upstream end if they're compression! But even those can be reused with careful removal from copper with a set of pump pliers!

Sponsored Links
:D
I've never had a flexi burst on me, I have to say......but I can't say I actually like them very much though!
John :)

Would I need olives at all? The tails are connected to an isolation valve using compression fittings, thus olives, then onto 15mm copper pipes. But if I am reusing the tails I would not even have to remove them from the isolation valves?

Then, no you don't!
If flexis are direct to ballofix's just ensure rubber washer is good... You wil need to uncouple in order to unscrew flexis from base of tap and reconnect after screwed into new tap... Just watch out for reconnecting flexi back to ballofix as they usually need an extra nip even when you think they're home!

As the others are saying - just check the washers at the tap end, if they have a big ring dimple in them then its best to simply replace them - they are about 20p each at a plumbers merchant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back