Does Cement Render help soundproof?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a loft conversion done. We have a dormer, and the stage we are at is that it has been insulated and plasterboard added. No plaster yet, and no render. Just been up there, and it sounds a bit noisy - I can hear the traffic on the main road, I cannot from downstairs bedrooms.

Is it likely just because it has not been rendered yet? Or that the room is not furnished and the sound not being deadened by carpets, beds and wardrobes etc.?

Sponsored Links
Generaly you will find plaster sealing the gaps, and trim such as skirtings and window frames once they are all sealed in will make a big difference on noise levels.

However modern building techniques are "minimal" from a heavy materials point of view, as in, you will get more noise though a modern part of a building than old solid or double brick heavy walls. Also loft conversions always have more noise, not just because of the dormer, but the small clearence and lack of brickwork between the plasterboard walls/ceiling and outside.

Let's hope it gets quieter next week then. Cheers.

Put it this way, it can only get better with render, plaster and furnishings, but best have a loud TV when it starts raining, thats what gets me about ours (although ours has velux as opposed to dormer which should be quieter as the rain wont be falling straight onto your windows)

best of luck

Sponsored Links
loud rain - that is a worry! Bed is in the dormer ..... let's hope that it is all OK.... the rain was loud the other week when we only had the dormer up, without insulation etc. Hopefully it will be quieter. Is it worse than rain in a tent? What can be quite nice!

I reckon with a dormer the rain would be more soothing than annoying, as opposed to with the velux glass pointing at the sky it sounds like someone pouring frozen peas on the window in heavy rain, not quite as relaxing,

I have a sound meter app on my phone (no idea how accurate it is) and readings are very similar in dormer room and pitched roof room, but actual sound I hear different. Hopefully it is down to the render more than anything else.

This stuff claims to be as effective as 10cm if concrete (really?) - http://www.gowallpaper.co.uk/saarpor-sound-proof-insulating-liner.html - has anybody had experience with it? Can be painted afterwards.

Maybe I will get the whole room decorated with this ....

You would need to insulate on the side of the wall the sound is coming from. Lining the inside of the room with that stuff, just stops the sound getting out.

Well, it rained, not very hard, but it was not very noticeable, even in an echoey room, so hopefully that is not going to be a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back