does it get easier...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All
I have just completed the first half term of C&G electrical installation, it's been to put it bluntly mind boggling. I am no spring chicken but on the other hand neither am I thick....but I mean I ask you "transposing algebra" LOL
Knowing that I cannot run before I can walk, will it all eventually sink in or am I fighting a losing battle??.
Also it's a two year "full time" course...which means you only go 2.5 days a week, does any of you think I should try to get taken on by a local electrical company as a gofor or would they not be interested.
Thanks in advance
Lizzie
:eek:

Sponsored Links
Any school leaver should be able to transpose simple equations. (Yes, I know, but what can you do besides bring back the birch, eh?) It may be trickier for the mature student but what you should have is a much higher incentive to learn and, arguably, more determination to succeed.

Yes, it will sink in, but without practical experience to back it up and continued learning beyond the course you'll forget it all again! :(

In your shoes I'd blitz every local firm, telling them what you want to achieve and asking for, if not a job, exactly, some way in which they might help you gain some hands-on experience. You could even ask them if they would let you spend a few days simply tagging along (for free) to see what's involved - that way you have a chance to build some sort of relationship with them before either side has to make a committment.

Lizzie

Hope I can help you, us oldies need to stick together.

I have completed my education as an electrician as a mature student and would be happy to give any advice I can.

Mail me at my address and I will send you any past papers I have on disk

Hi Lizzie, keep up the good work. And try not to get dis-heartened. It will all get easier with time.
It sounds like you have used your own time and money to put yourself through this course, which shows commitment in itself, as any future employee will appreciate. If you are prepared to work for the "right" money, you will find someone who will take you on. Phone round your local companies, or write to them. A lot of firms now like adult trainees, because they are more likely to get someone with a good work ethic, as opposed to that of a 17-year-old. And any practical experience you can gain will be immensely useful to you.
And yes, you will find it easier with time. Much of what you are learning (transposition of formula etc) you will hardly ever use anyway. This is because, with experience, and armed with your regs/ on-site-guide, you will know that such a size cable is used for such a circuit etc etc. You just need to be able to show at this stage, that you can work it out, should you ever need to.
There are also many good books to help you. Do a search on Amazon for Brian Scaddan, John Whitfield, Trevor Lindsey to name a few.
If you want it enough you will get there in the end. Just keep persevering.
Hope this helps, TS.

Sponsored Links
Hi Lizzie

I'm doing my final year - and yes it does eventually sink in, but take some time to read over your notes when you get a quiet moment at home (if this is impossible, head to a library!) Sometimes I found the way the tutors explained things was more confusing than what they were trying to explain, so maybe try to get friendly with one of the boffins in your class and chat over lunch.

Please, please do try to get some work experience - life of site is a whole lot different to class and it will let you know if electrics is really for you. I found that phoning sparks was the best way to ask for work experience and don't expect to get paid anything (or very much) to start with and you will be very slow.

However, I've now got work coming out of my ears, so keep plugging away (sorry for that one!)

SB :D

Thanks for the replies.
Traineespark you don't know how relived I am to hear that about algebra...have spent afternoon trying to work out resistors in paralell and voltage drop...aahhhhhh!!!. Have got trevor linseys" basic electrical installation" and is it watkins "electrical installation calculations" plus a couple more I picked up in the college library
Dingbat I am lucky to be in the position (at the moment) of not having to earn, so maybe asking to follow around an electrician one or two days a week would be a good idea.
Qedelect being new to these boards I am not sure how I get your mail address, can you please advise, cause that sounds really helpful.
I actually found you all by googling "switch wire"....I was filling in my next wiring diagram in the workbook and wanted to know if there was a certain way round the twin + cpc was terminated between junction box and one way switch...but as it is supposed to be twin brown I don't think it matters (I hope),
All shout at once if that's wrong!!!
Sorry for delay in replying, but son has been hogging computer for the last four hours.
Lizzie

Hi SB
I was typing when you were.
I think we drop down to one day a week next year, and I think they like you to be employed by then, is that what your college does?.
I am really determined to stay the distance...it's funny because there is about five of us" oldies" ranging from late 20s through to me in my (and another I think?) 40s, and we all seem to have that determination, unlike some of the youngsters who seem to go missing for days on end.
I rewrite everything they tell or give me, that way it sort of sinks in better, so no problem about studying

Lizzie

Lizzie

We've been on one day a week since the word go - you were supposed to be in related employment but I embroidered the truth a bit!
As you say, the oldies take it much more seriously - in fact all but one of the teenagers didn't make it onto the second year - although if I think back to what I was like when I was sixteen... :confused:

Don't want to put you off, but second year is even more maths - we're doing pythagoras, tan/cos/sin and other orrible stuff. Making holes in walls the other 4 days a week helps keep me sane!

Keep at it

SB

There are lots of maths resources on the internet. Whenever you need another perspective, or an alternative explanation, just use a search engine. I used to have to teach maths to engineering technicians, so I know how hard it can be getting a point across at times. Just persevere.

If you can force yourself, why not decide you're actually going to enjoy the maths and really get stuck in; I've many times seen the 'I don't do maffs' types suddenly taking a real interest and going way beyond what was needed for the course.

Best of luck.

Lizzie

Sorry late in replying, our co. network was shot this morn and I only have dial up at home.

To contact me by mail, click on my name and you will go to my profile which has my addy for hotmail.

I am a little older than you at 54 and had 25 years in IT but no one wants a Unix Professional anymore and I only want to work 2 or 3 days a week.

Took my courses and exams at night college, all in one year and came away with 6 distinctions so us oldies are still the dogs b*ll*cks.

Off home now to meet Mr NICEIC for my final assessment for full reg.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back