Does my house have a manhole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a blocked drain, have been trying to clear it using liquid drain unblocker but it keeps getting blocked up again, so I'm at the point of calling someone out to fix it but I know they're going to want to access the manhole. The house is a semi built in the mid sixties, I have a copy of the plan showing where the drains run, the drainage pipes are all on my side wall and the plan shows the drains running along the side path, but there's no evidence of a manhole. The survey I had done when I bought the house couldn't find one either. Is it possible for a house built in the sixties not to have a manhole?

Sponsored Links
Quite possible or the manhole could have been covered over.

Which drain keeps blocking?

There's an open drain outside the kitchen wall, the kitchen waste pipes discharge into it but it keeps overflowing. It's not completely blocked though, it does clear eventually. There's evidence in the overflow that the toilets are connected, need I say more!

Do the plans that you have show a corner in the pipes? If thy do, what is there at that position? Maybe some concrete slabs that could be hiding a manhole?

Sponsored Links
Contact your local sewerage co. they are responsible for drains you share with other houses . Better than £££ going to a drain cleaning outfit, may cost you nothing.:notworthy:

Quite possible you dont have a manhole, could be on neighbouring property, may not even be one. I'd take Nige's advice, call the Water Co, as sewerage provider they are responsible for all shared sewers now, and also private sewers on neighbouring properties. May find they clear it for free, and they should have a plan of where most sewers run.... :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, the sewer pipes on my property serve my property only so my responsibility. The hidden manhole has been located! Under a load of soil within a flower bed, I didn't think the previous owners of my house would have been so stupid to cover it over with something more permanent I just wish they hadn't covered it over at all!

You'd be amazed what some folks do. I know one Muppet who built a conservatory over his, then swore blind he didn't have one.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back