How to change a clay water pipe for plastic in a old manhole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Hope someone could give me some advise please. I am trying to put a new foul water drain/ gully of the side wall of my new kitchen. I dug out the soil behind the house and located the clay pipe run that goes into a brick built manhole with clay inserts in the bottom. I wanted to join to the pipe just outside the manhole with a clay to plastic converter but building regs today said no got to put new plastic in manhole then run complete new pipe!
Q) anyone give me advise on how? Do I have to break the whole lot down or is there a way of getting out the old pipe and put new one in the side?
Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Struggling to work out from the photo's what goes to where, any chance of a diagram of the proposed layout?

You can join easily enough to an existing clay pipe with a suitable coupling, quite why BCO wants a new chamber is beyond me, but they have funny ideas at times. A 'Slipper' is the term sometimes used for a branch channel connection coming in from the side of a chamber discharging onto main 'through' channel. If you are allowed to connect to the existing, leave the clay pipe into the chamber in situ, cut it off at a suitable point outside the chamber then use a 'Fernco' coupling to adapt from the clayware to plastic.

If the BCO insists the chamber be replaced, then you'll have to break the whole lot out, (and there's some masonry there!), and graft in a 450mm dia plastic chamber, using the Fernco couplings to attach to the clayware either side. Useful info here: http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain15.htm

Other point is the rainwater downpipe, looks like you've connected it directly to the drain. Fine if this is a surface water sewer, but if the connection is to a foul or combined sewer then it will need to connect via a trapped gulley.

but building regs today said no got to put *new plastic in manhole* then run complete new pipe!
Q) anyone give me advise on how? Do I have to break the whole lot down or is there a way of getting out the old pipe and put new one in the side?
Thanks for your help in advance.
I read that as a new plastic pipe with a slipper on the end - into the manhole . cut the old one out and poke the new through the hole + make good : Cut out @ low level round the existing pipe :idea: . Is this what the BC wants ? . It`s what I did @ my house ( in Sussex) but I`m always under BC`s radar ;)

Yes that's what Bc wants but how do I get it out to put new one in knock the whole lot down or take few brick and pipe out the side?

I'd dig down outside the chamber to where the existing pipe enters, smash the old pipe out, and then carefully chisel out enough room to get your new connection in. Make good the benching and around where the pipe enters the chamber with a strong sand/cement mix. May need to do some of this from inside the chamber, but they dont lend themselves very well in terms of space. :(

If this method is going to prove a struggle then sadly you may have little alternative other than to demolish the chamber down to a point where access is somewhat easier. (Whatever you do, dont lose any debris down the pipes!) Still seems overkill to me when a Fernco could be used to join to existing clay pipe just outside the chamber, but BCO's can have odd ideas.... :eek:

Thanks everyone spent all day digging and now think I can get old pipe out without breaking the manhole so fingers crossed going to give it a go!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back