Connection to clay....again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to embark on converting my garage with it partly to be used as a utility and therefore need to have a plastic waste outlet for washing machine. I have a clay waste pipe running right outside the wall on which the washing machine will be fitted so it would seem I am lucky. However the waste pipe runs with a foot gap between it and the wall, with the gas pipe recently laid in this gap by national grid.
From what I have read it seems the best option is to cut in to the clay and run a new manhole in with adapters but I think the gas line may be in the way based on circumference of manhole.

Is there a simpler small diameter manhole or similar fitting to allow connection of plastic washing machine waste into clay?

Is there a way of branching into a existing manhole type fitting that I have fitted further up the line, it isn't a plastic thing, but brick built sided, kinda glazed clay job at the bottom? Sorry rubbish description.

As an alternative would BCO be happy to see me run the waste pipe along the outside of the wall back along to the manhole where the washing machine used to be or is he going to laugh at it as though it's some kinda bodge?

Sponsored Links
With extreme care working around that gas pipe, you could cut into the clay, and fit a bottle gulley. Bottle gulley has integral rodding access, so wont leave a blind run from the gulley, assuming the existing clay run is accessible.

Sounds good, the clay pipe is if I remember rightly is about four to six inches below surface to the top of the pipe and the gas pipe was laid below the bottom of the clay pipe.

If I understand you right I should unearth the clay pipe and fit the adaptor bands to convert to 110mm. From here can I then fit a tee piece to go horizontally towards garage and then at the end of this short run of pipe fit a bottle gully. Can the washing machine waste then be run to fit into the grid on th top of the bottle gully?

I am guessing I leave it all unearthed for the BCO to check and then backfill with pea shingle?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes, thats exactly what I would do. Waste from washeing machine needs to discharge just below the grid into the gulley, some grids have cut out sections, for this, if not, a hacksaw will soon provide a hole for you!

Bed and surround pipes in peagravel, but i'd but a bit of concrete under and around the gulley to level it up and hold it in position. Avoid any large stones, lumps etc in initial layer of backfill to protect the pipes.

Dont forget to chamfer all cut pipe ends, clay included. Dont want any material catching and causing problems, and the plastic fittings will pop the rubber seals without a chamfer and spot of lubricant when fitting. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back