Soil Pipe replacement and connection to manhole

edo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Found out today that the old ceramic/clay soil pipe is cracked where it joins to the verticle oplastic soil pipe, and in a number of places along the horizontal run to an inspection/manhole.

I'm going to replace it all with a new length of plastic soil pipe. The question is how do I join it to the manhole - the current clay pipe just pops into the manhole - is there a way of bringing the size down to run the new pipe in so I dont have to redo the concrete in the manhole? Is there a standard way of connecting the plastic pipe to the concrete?

Sorry fot the dumb questions... Anyone in the trade in Surrey tomorrow??!!

Sponsored Links
p1084455_l.jpg
:idea:

Thanks - but the manole is that - a hole into a chamber.... ??

Sponsored Links
Thanks Kev - doesnt look like the old pipe did that - it just "butts up" (ooer). Is there a way of getting the soil pipe down in size slightly so it will fit into the hole?

If it just pops into manhole ...above the channel @ the bottom? thru. the wall? then it was a vent connection that`s been used for a soil connection .And not strictly correct :cry: Where in Surrey? Godstone ?or is that still Sussex :LOL:

Hard to describe - it looks like it is as it should be - two channels (one from the kitchen, and the one in question) join together and head off to the main drain. When you take the metal inspection cover off the channels are open. I just want to make sure I get a good join. it looks to my untrained eye like the current clay or porcelain pipe just buts up to the hole into the chamber...

In Normandy, south west of Guildford...

Help! It gets worse. Half the old pipe is conreted into the ground - is there any slighly smaller guage pipe I can use to put down the old pipe rather than digging everything up?

Not that I`m aware of :cry: you may be able to get the `crete off the pipe enough t o make a join .....I did @ my last house ,just got lucky ;)

Hi - I have the same problem - that is trying to conect a new pvc 110mm soil pipe to a manhole that has the remnents of a ceramic 4 inch pipe which is broken off flush with the manhole brickwork and what is left is in fast - any tips?

p4775134_l.jpg
p4167600_l.jpg

If you are lucky, the plastic will be a tad smaller diameter than the clay pipe, but you will need to seal the pipe into the chamber and make good the benching.

McAlpine make a coupling, similar to a pan connector for this purpose, the DC-1. Finned end fits into your existing broken pipe, other end accepts 110mm plastic for your new drain. Saves a lot of hard work!

Many thanks - I'll try it - I had made a temp repair with an indoor u-bend type pan connector but it didnt seem man enough for the job for a long term solution, but I'm sure this will be fine - thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back