Retrofit Manhole over existing pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
our soil and surface water are currently combined and shared with a manhole on the neighbours side, we have permission from thames water to make our own connection on the lateral line. our neighbours manhole just across the drive is 1.2m deep, we will be excavating on our side of the wall 1.2m and plan to put a concrete rectangle ring manhole ontop of the existing pipe, and cut into the existing clay pipe, (i think its a 150mm size) and make that pipe into a channel then run a new 90degree bend slightly higher where we would have out new connection going into the main lateral drain.

questions:
1. is it better to cut the existing pipe the length of the manhole knowing that there is a clay joint in the middle of the manhole to make it into a channel
2. remove existing clay pipe and replace with new branch channel connection ( would be shorter in length), knowing that will need to find a way to connect the part channel, part complete pipe to the rest of the line.
3. surface water line is about 10cm higher than the soil line and about 20cm to the right of it, will this affect at all the concrete base that is needed to be poured under the existing pipe that will be cut open, i.e will the weight of the concrete manhole rings ( about 200+ kg) affect the close pipe
4. could i use band seals to connect the new branch channel to the existing pipes, or the remaining length that is needed once the existing pipe is removed
5. water table is quiet high so any ideas how to get the water out as it completely covers the pipe by about 15-20cm of water

thanks in advance

hamazz

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back