Blocked manhole 70feet run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i wonder if someone could help me my manhole outside the back of my house is blocked, i put 70feet of rods down there (thats all my rods) and it doesnt get to the blockage, and from the direction of the manhole i would say its going into the neighbours garden also. i rent the property and cant afford to call out a plumber my question is where should the next manhole cover likely to be surely there should be another one along this run thats not too far away. i also thought the drain run would have gone into the manhole in the road at the front of the house or is it likely just to run to the bottom of the garden into the neighbour who is joined at the bottom of the house.

Sponsored Links
not being funny, but did you rod it in both directions?

also, to do it correctly you need access to all the manhole covers in the line.

I think you will find that it is your water utilities job to sort it, as of the 1st of October, info should have come with your resent bills

Give them a ring

thanks for your replies,yes i rodded the other way towards the house but it hits something solid like a brick which i imagine is the bend plus surely the drain run wouldnt run under the property which is solid concrete would it?

buck51 is it still the water utilities responsibilty even tho the drain run is out the back of the houses in the gardens? and what if it turns out to be just toilet paper blockage would i then be liable even tho its so far away from the property?

Sponsored Links
thanks buck i just went to there site, i just been outside to see if the blockage is in my garden and going by the the direction of the manhole it measures 40feet before it hits the neighbours garden and they have plenty big trees (50 foot tree) in the garden which could cause problems but measuring from the manhole(not in line with suspected run) to the bottom of the garden is 75foot which means if the drain curves back around it could still be on my garden, also whats the max run these drains should have before another inspection hole?

Can be anything up to 90m between chambers. Drains should run in a straight line, a manhole then built at each change of direction. Manholes do get 'lost' though, amazing how many people decide to put a conservatory/shed/patio/lawn/gravel/etc over a cover, assuming they'll never need to get to it.... :rolleyes:

Does this affected drain serve your property only is is it likely to be shared with neighbouring properties?

A blockage is a blockage, highly unlikely to be just paper, chances are there's something else e.g. wipes that have caught on something, or possible root ingress from aforementioned trees...... :(

if the drain goes in a straight line from the angle of the cover then it hits the neihbours fence at about 35foot which means its likely to be blocked under the neighbours garden does this mean its not my responsibility then?

Angle of the cover is irrelevant, you should be able to gauge roughly from the rods the direction of the pipework. Have you checked manholes downstream in neighbouring properties? Blockage could be some distance away.

Crucial factor is if more than one property is affected, the problem is then Sewerage Undertakers to resolve!

yeah the drain cover is irrelevant to the angle of the drain run, it does seem to run more straight with my garden which would suggest the problem is in my garden, I will check tomorrow to see if I can see another manhole cover in the adjoining garden at the bottom. I am running out of time its starting to smell quite bad I will have to ring the letting agency who will most likely say its my responsibility which means big bill :(

Shouldn't be your problem, it's the Landlords responsibility. Up to them to argue the toss with the Water Authority. ;)

I fail to see why you should cop the bill, thats what you pay rent for! Only circumstances I can see there would be a claim against you was if the drain had been blocked due to malicious actions. (e.g. bricks thrown down a manhole...)

hope your right hugh I shall give the letting agency a call moro and see what they say, not sure if I should say that I tried to unblock with my rods as they will probably say that I made it worse as a way to make me liable, I will get back to let you know how I get on. cheers people for help much appreciated.

Tell them nothing other than you have a blocked drain. I hope they dont expect you to repair the roof or service the boiler as well?

I used to deal with a lot of blockages for the local Housing Association, soon as the tenant reported a problem it was passed straight to us. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back