Does the TMV control my UFH temp regardless of my thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently (4 weeks) ago had tiles laid on an anhydrite screed floor.

I am now able to put the UFH on 'minimum' for one week and then slowly increase the temperature.

The TMV on the manifold has 20 deg as it's lowest setting (20 - 70 is the range).

However, my stat is sitting around 19 - 22 deg depending on the heating in the rest of the house.

My question is... if I turn up my stat to (say) 25 deg... will my UFH still only sit at 20 deg because the TMV is restricting the temperature of the water going into it?

That's how my tiny little brain *thinks* it should work but I wanted to check with the experts before I do it as I don't want to cause "thermal shock" and make the tiles lift?

Thanks for any help you can give me :)

Sponsored Links
Yes, if the TMV is restricting the flow temperature then your UFH will be limited in how warm the room can get. The screed should really have been fully dried before tiles were laid, it's bad practise to lay tiles on damp screed

Yes, if the TMV is restricting the flow temperature then your UFH will be limited in how warm the room can get. The screed should really have been fully dried before tiles were laid, it's bad practise to lay tiles on damp screed

Thanks Andrew. Yes, the "dry screed" is another story entirely.... the screed was laid months ago... then scailance removed and dried out for weeks... then the tiler came and put the tiles down without primer... they lasted a couple of months and then lifted.... so (fair play to him - he admitted the mistake, took it on the chin) he came back after Christmas, lifted the lot, scraped the adhesive off, primed it and re-laid them... hence my paranoia about "thermal shock"!! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back