Does thermostatic mixer need descaling...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps

I'm hoping someone can explain if this is working or not... Got one of these running off a hot water tank:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/91420...c/Thermostatic-Dual-Control-Shower-Fixed-Kit#

The pressure is good for both cold (two floors up) and hot; same floor as shower (ground) but seems to have the pressure from the cold to run at decent pressure.

Its not a power shower by any means - drench? - but since you can use a tankful with 2 10 minute showers that doesn't bother me, though it would be a reason to get a combi...

Problem is, the flowcontrol gets triggered when the stat appears to set max temp from the initial hot water flow. Of course the hot runs cold for the first minute or so, so when the hot comes on the shower throttles down to a dribble. You can get by this by running full cold for 20 seconds then round to hot again, cold then the second time you put it on hot it shouldn't have a problem.

For me this is an inconvenience but its starting to become a pain, and its impossible to explain to guests!!! I was wondering might it be because it needs descaling - not a problem since there's some shutoff valves on the pipework - or is it a "feature" of this type of shower?

Its about 2 years old and has been doing this for a while though maybe it wasn't (?) when we first got it - can't remember :?: Its the age made me think it could need descaling since it hasn't been done before....

Any other suggestions?

Cheers!

:D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back