Does this boxed in soil pipe need venting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

A guy I know is still having his en-suite done and I saw the pipework today.. it's internal (he finally listened) but the soil pipe doesn't have a vent of any kind. Is this likely to be a problem? I told him it should probably be vented but he said that there are three 'stops' or some such in the pipework (I asked what these stops were, he said they were bent pipes which hold water and stop any smells.. :shrug:) and that the water goes straight to the drain so it doesn't need venting. He then said I'm not technical and that he knew what he was doing lol. I hope he does, but I don't think so..

The pipes are as follows - 4inch soil pipe vertically dropping to the ground floor then joining the outside drain underground.. the toilet is connected to the pipe first, lower down the wash basin is connected, then lower down the shower is connected.

Could some kind chap give me the technical low-down on venting this pipework (if indeed it needs it).

Sponsored Links
Well I can't see the job from here but it does sound as though there should be a vent or at least an air admittance valve fitted near to the upstairs wc.

Its in the building regs part H I think

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back