Does this gate valve need replacing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'd like to know whether I need to replace the orange domestic hot water gate valve picture below. It spins aimlessly when I try to close it and seems to be stuck in the open position. This is a problem as I'd like to replace a washroom basin. Does the whole valve need replacing or is it just the threaded bit that screws into the valve that needs changing?

The other 22mm gate valve in the picture (red) was replaced a few months ago as it was stuck (not even spinning). I asked a plumber to do it for us as the new valves are shorter, so we needed an extra lenth of pipe + straight coupling and I didn't want to risk doing a poor job of it and being without running water.

This time around, I'll do it myself if the entire valve doesn't need replacing.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you can identify the make then sometimes you can just change the mechanism but it may not completely seal off the flow.

Gate valves are only designed for low pressure isolation and not for sealing the pipe.

However, it always surprises me that many will turn off London mains water if they are fairly new.

Toyn

Yep.Change the whole valve. Use a pegler quality valve, not the cheapo ones as it willl be the same again in a few years. Personally, I would use a Pegler full bore lever valve.

It isn't much harder to change the valve than repair.

Sponsored Links
Yes, cheap gate valves are the work of the devil. Rip them all out, and get quality lever valves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back