1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Gate Valve Replacement

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by alpesh26, 27 May 2021.

1. alpesh26

alpesh26

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a stuck 22mm gate valve which I believe is the cold water supply to my bath and en-suite shower. I want to replace the gate valve with a full bore ball valve, but my question is, are the bodies between gate valves and ball valves standard?

i.e. will I need to cut/extend pipework to make a ball valve fit in place of a gate valve?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. sxturbo

sxturbo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    if its any help, i replaced a 22mm gate valve for a full bore ball valve last year at the start of the pandemic and it was a straight swap

• Like Like x 1
  4. alpesh26

alpesh26

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  5. Hugh Jaleak

Hugh Jaleak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Chances are the Lever Valve will be slightly longer body than the Gate Valve. The existing pipework may have enough movement available to slot the new valve in, if not it's not an issue, provided you have enough pipework to work with. Drain down and remove existing gate valve. Then simply cut through the old olive on one side at an angle of about 45°, once deep enough, insert a small screwdriver into the cut and split the olive to remove.

Offer new valve up, mark pipe as to how much you need to cut off to accommodate new valve. Cut pipe, slide on nut and new olive, fit new valve. Tighten nuts, restore supply and check for leaks.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. alpesh26

alpesh26

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks! I'll pick one up, hopefully i'll get lucky and it's a direct replacement. The water is already off and drained as I have another pipe which is leaking following an unvented cylinder install. Hoping this resolves the issue with the cold water supply to the bath and en-suite shower.

7. sxturbo

sxturbo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sponsored Links