Gate Valve Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a stuck 22mm gate valve which I believe is the cold water supply to my bath and en-suite shower. I want to replace the gate valve with a full bore ball valve, but my question is, are the bodies between gate valves and ball valves standard?

i.e. will I need to cut/extend pipework to make a ball valve fit in place of a gate valve?

Sponsored Links
if its any help, i replaced a 22mm gate valve for a full bore ball valve last year at the start of the pandemic and it was a straight swap

Chances are the Lever Valve will be slightly longer body than the Gate Valve. The existing pipework may have enough movement available to slot the new valve in, if not it's not an issue, provided you have enough pipework to work with. Drain down and remove existing gate valve. Then simply cut through the old olive on one side at an angle of about 45°, once deep enough, insert a small screwdriver into the cut and split the olive to remove.

Offer new valve up, mark pipe as to how much you need to cut off to accommodate new valve. Cut pipe, slide on nut and new olive, fit new valve. Tighten nuts, restore supply and check for leaks.

Sponsored Links
Chances are the Lever Valve will be slightly longer body than the Gate Valve. The existing pipework may have enough movement available to slot the new valve in, if not it's not an issue, provided you have enough pipework to work with. Drain down and remove existing gate valve. Then simply cut through the old olive on one side at an angle of about 45°, once deep enough, insert a small screwdriver into the cut and split the olive to remove.

Offer new valve up, mark pipe as to how much you need to cut off to accommodate new valve. Cut pipe, slide on nut and new olive, fit new valve. Tighten nuts, restore supply and check for leaks.
Thanks! I'll pick one up, hopefully i'll get lucky and it's a direct replacement. The water is already off and drained as I have another pipe which is leaking following an unvented cylinder install. Hoping this resolves the issue with the cold water supply to the bath and en-suite shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back