Does this look normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a picture of the out flow? (Sorry if that's wrong terminology) from the boiler with 5 pipes split off going individually to each radiator (3 upstairs, 2 downstairs)

Then another return flow with another 5 pipes coming into it, with both connecting to a larger (22mm?) Pipe which comes from the boiler.

It seems like an awful lot of pipe for water to flow through. And diagrams I've seen, seem to show just 1 pipe, with 1 split off from each radiator, this reducing the flow and return.

I seem to be losing pressure from my boiler, and was looking for a potential leak. So is it possible to reduce the amount of pipework at the same time as trying to determining the source of the problem (could be something else, boiler is pretty old)
2023-04-2917.25.141745862300262717688.jpg

Attachments

• 2023-04-2917.25.387109626508341982577.jpg
    2023-04-2917.25.387109626508341982577.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
Normal for a system using manifolds. Nothing wrong with it in principle although some may have preferred copper as the small bore on plastic microbore can cause issues.

They are used to make the install much easier and faster when using 10mm CH pipe. Rads can be re-piped in no time but as suggested, over time 10mm can become clogged if the system isn't kept squeaky clean, especially where the bore narrows at the inserts/supports.

Quite normal practice, 22mm Flow and Return into manifolds with a number of 10mm pipes serving your radiators.

As already mentioned, plastic 10mm has a much reduced internal bore than copper pipe, having said that the majority of new build properties are piped in this way, they can become blocked by sludge over time.

All plastic pipes on the heating system should be “Barrier” pipe to prevent oxygen ingress and the system should be dosed with the correct amount of inhibitor, both will help prevent corrosion and the buildup of sludge.

Another advantage of using manifolds is that you can have all the joints (and potential problems) in one small area.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everybody for the feedback.
Always good to have a more expert opinion on things.
No joy with leak. So I'm hoping leak sealer will do for now.

I would imagine (if installed as I would ) there will be no more joints on the 10mm pipe until the radiator valves, so if no leak visible on the manifolds and none at the rad valves it’s unlikely to be on the plastic side, unless there are elbows where the pipes come out from the wall / floor that aren’t visible.

I’m not a fan of using leak sealer, and would do a bit more investigating before using it, have a good look around the boiler and pressure vessel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back