CH pipe layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had a new CH system installed - The flow and return pipes are 22mm in the ground floor (easy access as there is crawl space under the house) however the flow and return pipes are 15mm in the upper floor as he could not notch the joists any deeper.

As the upper floor radiators are further from the boiler and the flow and return pipes are thinner the radiators take a lot longer to heat than in the ground floor.

I was thinking of running 22mm flow and return pipes as far as possible along the first floor in line with the joists and using a manifold to connect 15mm pipes to each radiator seperately (5 in total). This would mean an increased pipe length of around 12m.

I am not sure if this would make things better due to the larger flow and return pipes or worse due to the increased pipe length?????

Hope that all made sense??

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How many rads what's the total heat loss which boiler what's its heat output which pump have you got is it open vented and loads of questions about other things you haven't mentioned yet.

before you start fiddling with the pipework try balancing the rads but turning the downstairs ones down a lot.

Open the lockshield valves about 1/2 a turn as as a starting point.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I guess its not as simple as I thought....

Thanks for the advice - will try balancing the rads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back