Adding new radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to fit a new radiator to the existing CH system. The 22mm flow and return pipes from the boiler are buried in the concrete floor of my bungalow. Is it OK to T-off the 15mm pipes above the floor feeding an existing radiator?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks
Red

Sponsored Links
Unless you are fitting a very large radiator son, you'll be fine teeing off the 15mm F&R going to an existing radiator. A 15mm pipe can carry a 6KW + heat load.

It will be a very small rad as it is going in the loo.

Thanks for your help

Red

Forgot to say Red; You need to ensure you have a two pipe system!!

If your house/system is no more than 20 years old you'll be fine.

Sponsored Links
The property was built in early sixties, I'm certain it has a two pipe system. Thank you

No problem.

What a lovely part of the world you live in and the weather has been kind to you this Summer also!!

Dick, you have made me wonder whether I have a 2 pipe system. Is there an easy way to tell, by looking at the pipework around the hot water tank?

If the system was installed in the 60's then it may be one pipe?!!
The best way to check is if there's a one pipe loop around the system & one pipe passing under the rads, with the radiator F&R connected to one horizontal pipe.

On a lighter note, here's a link to our Plumbers song, enjoy;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLvR7VMWCUY
:LOL: :LOL:

Its not easy to check the pipes as they are under concrete, but there are two drain cocks for the system outside. I'm assuming that this indicates two pipes. Also I had a new boiler fitted in 2006 by a reputable company, am I right in thinking that it is against regulations to fit a new boiler to a one pipe system? Or am I talking out of my stopcock!

Thanks

If you have two drain off points terminating at the same point then this would indicate a two pipe system.

No, you can fit a condensing boiler to a one pipe system. If you couldn't then a lot of homes would find a simple boiler swap very expensive.

"Stopcock",, :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back