Does this sound sensible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from my last Thread //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/lath-and-plaster-ceiling-collapse.444715/#post-3487811
We're trying to find the most cost-effective permanent repair.
I've been quoted £1500 (ish) which is way out of our league (I'm disabled and unable to work)
Another idea is to cross batten the entire ceiling and then use 12.5 featheredge plaster board and have a professional plasterer come and tape the joins and skim.
Please can anyone give me a ballpark idea how much you'd expect to be paid (Cash) for a job like this?, the ceiling measures just under 4m x 4m
Also, I'm thinking of giving the existing plaster a coat of pva then sticking a membrane up before attaching the battens. I have a huge roll of membrane given to me so there's no real cost here other than the battens, (I'm thinking roof laths)
The plasterer will not have to worry about dust sheets etc as we'll allready have everything masked off.
It's half term so I've got free labour in the form of two strong teenage sons at home doing nothing.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
£1500 for what?

Why dont you stop prescribing, and just listen to the advice you are being given instead of suggesting ways of making things more difficult for yourself?

You should also keep your posts on one thread for obvious reasons.

Screw the exposed laths up after pilot hole drilling every screw fixing, and then move across the ceiling doing the same thro the plaster wherever there are cracks or sagging.
Then fill and skim.

£1500 to plasterboard the damaged area and blend it into the existing/remaining ceiling
I'm not 'prescribing' but merely following the advice I've already been given & I started a new thread as I was hoping for more views and advice.
Reading up on advice given on the site some say to put new battens up going the opposite way to the joists, is that the best idea?
We need the repair to be permanent as we won't be able to do it again.

If that was the "best idea" i should have mentioned it.

"We need the repair to be permanent" - do you imagine that you are being advised to do a temporary or an unstable repair?

Sponsored Links
£1500 to put a bit of board up and blend it in ? That's way over the top, And who says to batten it out first ? There's no need for that, Don't forget your coving also ? Is that the only part of the lid that's knackard? Just patch and skim it

By saying permanent I mean it'll have to last the rest of my time as I won't be able to get it done again.
I think the purpose of the battening is to provide a nice even/level surface, luckily I can get reproduction coving to replace the original

I don't get it. You are disabled and can't work but you can board out a ceiling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back