plasterboarding over plaster and lathe - help ?!?!?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a room size of 3200mm x 4000mm.

i've had a leak and the plaster and lathe is now coming loose.

the leak is now repaired but the ceiling needs repairing.

now i'm a general handyman and trying to workout the quickest and cleanest way to fix this, as it is in my bedroom, which has plaster coving.

so i am thinking of battening up, and double layer plasterboarding with 9.5mm fireproof plasterboard.

battens every 600mm, using 60mm x 20mm battens

and then plasterboarding using 2400mm x 1200mm

so in total about 12 boards cut to 2000mm x 1066mm (roughly)

and then only wanting to skrim the joints, and then paint.

couple of questions, is this a good general idea?

any suggestions to make this easier or better?

would i use jointing tape that you soad in water first, or that plastering stickey mesh stuff over the joints, or just stick something in the joints (advice please).

then paint it white.

i know that i will be lowering my ceiling about 40mm but it is that or make a tonne of mess and more money....

oh im starting this tomorrow.... and next week.

Sponsored Links
any suggestions to make this easier or better?
oh im starting this tomorrow.... and next week.
and trying to workout the quickest and cleanest way to fix this
i guess you have already started this but showing us a few pics of your ceiling would give us a clearer picture of how to help im not sure why you want to use battens and lowering the ceiling by 40mm while you have plaster coving is not a good idea, if you want to keep the coving you could overboard and use a plaster edge bead set back about 4 inches or so and then skim, also how badly damaged is the ceiling? lath and plast ceilings can be repaired which would be the quickest and easiest way to fix it "if viable"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back