Warm roof in old building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm looking for some solid advice on what to do with the ceiling / warm roof space In my building. Presently there are 2 sides, one has lath and plaster ceiling which is in fairly bad nick, the other is felted and left open. Pics 1 and 2 under building I'm working on in my profile.

I'm looking to add insulation as the top floor where all the exposed beams are to become my flat. I've been reading around the various options and it seems there can be problems caused by using modern materials ie plaster board, airtight membranes etc in older buildings due to a build up of moisture in the interstitial spaces especially if the building is occupied. This leads to damp on the timbers and a build up of mould.

Does anyone have any experience working on a project like this and if so I'd really appreciate some advice.

So far the options are

1.Batten and overboard existing lath and plaster ceiling with plasterboard and scim and put in new foam backed insulation board in the area where there is no ceiling at all

2.Drop lath and plaster ceiling and redo with lath and plaster and do open area the same. This maintains the breathability of the building but is a lot more work

If you need anymore info, photos , roof constructions details let me know.

Sponsored Links
No photos they I can see.

Batons and a new ceiling will be sufficient and helps sound proofing by having the extra layer.

What's happening with lighting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back