Dog Kennel design advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now I realise this drawing is going to be of much higher quality than most of you are used to, what with your rubbish CAD design software :mrgreen: :!:

However, can anyone tell me what you think.

I'm trying to build 2 dog kennels in my garden.

These are going to be bought from here:

http://www.ultrakennels.co.uk/

using their galv panels which will be olted in to a concrete base.

Concrete will be a C40 mix (is this any good) from a local supplier. I plan to lay this on top of 3" of (hand) compacted hardcore. Using a 4" topping of concrete.

Also want to sink some of these (or similar)

http://www.archiexpo.com/prod/redi/...terrace-and-facade-drainage-60428-160476.html

in to the top of this picture, so that all the dog urine etc can be washed away, down hill in to a soakaway.

questions:

1) do i need to us a dpc? I guess not?
2) whats the best way of creating a nice small slope over this size 3x6.5 metre area?
3) is C40 mix good for doogs (heavy wear urine proof etc?)

So. Is this enough, is this good? :mrgreen:

Cheers!!!

Jon

s4t7pg.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'd seriously reconsider the idea of washing dog poo/pee into a soakaway.
a) it might be environmentally unsound and b) it'll make a soakaway a poorly designed cess pit.

Soakaways are for surface water run-off, i.e. rain water not foul water, i.e. contaminated with faeces, etc.

C40 is probably over the top for what you plan..
As far as issues with soakaway and urine, well dont think that will be an issue unless you plan to keep the dogs inprisoned all day and let them roam around in their own filfth.. most adult dogs will urinate teratorially and not in the place they sleep..
If the channel is just for washing the cells down once a week or so then it may be an overkill as well..

Just watched a few videos on laying concrete bases, it looks like a 3-4 person job. :( Not something I can do on my own perhaps :(

Sponsored Links
Could someone also please advise what depth of hardcore/gravel I would require please.

Looking to have a 4 inch slab of concrete

2" of ballast/hardcore compacted enough?

Depends on how long you want it to last, 6" is about norm for basic hard landscaping.. might want to add some mesh reinforcement in the slab to limit early cracking..

I'd consider only having the concrete base, slope towards the drain. I wouldn't slope it towards the right as you have shown on the drawing (unless your going to put a drain in along the right hand wall as well) ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back