doing plumbing in austrailia...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
next year Im going to travel asia for 6 month, then am going to oz to work. Im a fully qualified plumber level 3 passed ccn1 and apps. 7 yrs experience

has any one ever worked over there? I dont wanna go out buy loadsa tool then find a cant get work been a plumber.

I really dont fancy been in a loft with big spiders, urgh. defo think doing plumbing for 12 month would be better than picking fruit or working in a call center.

if any one could give us some sound advice or point us in the right direction that would be spot on...

be good to get involved with solar etc/ cheers

Sponsored Links
You will find that you can only work as an employee for the first five years on OZ.

Your qualifications will not be fully recognised.

The plumbing techniques are different. For examply they braze copper pipes rather than soft soldering.

Dont get too excited or expect very high ernings, the OZ economy is in considerable decline and wages were always rather lower than in the UK!

Tony

We are hoping to emmigrate to OZ in a few years and even with a full residents permit they do not recognise our qualifications.
You have to work supervised for at least 2 years while you re attend college.
To go self employed means more college work to attain a contractors license.
All plumbers and sparkies in OZ have to be licensed which I believe is a good thing as it keeps out the dross.

The apparent best trade is landscape gardening and you do not need to be licensed.
If you want to stick with water based employment how about pool tendering?

Eitherway hope you have a fab time it is an adventure of a country.

Pete

Plumbing is certainly on the list of preferred immigration skills for Oz, so I would definitely make some enquires.

Sponsored Links
iv heard there are desperate for tradesmen, so fingers crossed Il get lucky working under some one.

defo dont fancy been a pool attendant.

il set up biz 'the outside tap kid' ;)

Perseverence, just keep going for it, you'll get there. (well you'll easily get there, it's staying there that is the problem :LOL:)

I just wish the UK was as fussy with immigrants and tradesmen then perhaps we wouldn't be in the sorry state we are!

your ccn1+appliances will not be recognised,however you can work if supervised by someone who is registered with the austrailian+new zealand gas fitting board,a mate of mine has just gone and got a job straight away,doing plumbing and gas fitting in mobile homes under supervision,it might be worth looking for something similar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back