Domestic circuit breaker board - welding machine ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since change my old domestic fuse board for a Circuit breaker board some 2 years ago I have not used my 140amp Arc welding set.

No problems before, but will the 32amp circuit breakers be OK. Now I want to use it for a repair job.

thanks

Sponsored Links
OK,

But will the socket ring circuit breaker trip or the RCD breaker first, although I don't use the welding set at full load.

I have a distant memory of when these trip breakers first came about, the circuit breaker in the workshop where I worked had to be changed to a motor rated breaker.

thanks

Please understand this.

An MCB is there to protect the cable against too much current, such as your arc welder could cause if the MCB's trip value is too small.

An RCD is there to protect against a fault to earth.

So, unless your welder has an earth fault that is greater than 30mA, the RCD will never ever trip.

A C or D curve MCB may be necessary, providing the EFLI figure for the circuit is OK.

Sponsored Links
OK,

But will the socket ring circuit breaker trip or the RCD breaker first, although I don't use the welding set at full load.

I have a distant memory of when these trip breakers first came about, the circuit breaker in the workshop where I worked had to be changed to a motor rated breaker.

thanks

Yip, that would be the 'normal' supply used for a welder.

regards,

DS

What you are saying, that every Domestic 230v welding machine purchased whether its Arc or Mig from such as Clarke Tooling, Machine Mart and others.

You must get permission. ?

The thread that b-a-s linked to would be, in my opinion, the best place to continue the discussion of DNO permission for welders, rather than trying to resurrect it here.

Contrary to that advice, I would contend that 99.9% of home-welder users have not sought permission from their DNO...

Yes.( one should seek permission from the DNO )

Rubbish.

When a carpenter moved his work shop from an industrial unit into his domestic garage the start up currents of some of the machinery caused voltage fluctuations in the local network. Neighbours complained to the electricity suppliers. The DNO came out to investigate.

Under threat of disconnection the carpenter had to cease using the larger machines.

Yes.( one should seek permission from the DNO )

Rubbish.

When a carpenter moved his work shop from an industrial unit into his domestic garage the start up currents of some of the machinery caused voltage fluctuations in the local network. Neighbours complained to the electricity suppliers. The DNO came out to investigate.

Under threat of disconnection the carpenter had to cease using the larger machines.

He was running a business from a domestic property.

The DNO could not have cared less that he was running a business, all they cared about was what he was doing to the supply. If he'd been running a business and not been causing problems they would have left him alone.

If he had been a non-business person with a ceramics hobby who had a large kiln that was causing problems they would have shut him down.

Did you actually read any of the other topic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back