Domestic radiator standards? Like for like replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering :unsure:......

I have removed a tatty radiator with the intention of painting it and refitting. Label on the rad says Korado type 22. It measures 600x600x100.

Upon removal, I have noticed that its underside is rusty, so would rather replace it.

Stupid question:
Is a type 22 radiator designed and manufactured in accordance with a product standard? If yes, does this mean that the rad can be replaced with any type 22 rad from any manufacturer without any need to alter plumbing and brackets? Or is this just wishful thinking?

Sponsored Links
You might get lucky with the plumbing- though you may have to retrieve the tails from the old rad if they are the older type. Brackets- ah well that could be the rub. Easiest is buy one from somewhere that does returns and refunds and have a look at it.
EDIT You'll for sure have to retrieve the tails unless you buy new valves :)

22 is a double with fins on both surfaces.
I prefer type 21 which is a double but one set of fins so narrower.

Different brands have different positions of brackets.

Re rust.
It's from condensation and I've seen both cheap and silly money radiators suffer from it.
Normally starts at the back bottom.

Re radiator
Lie new radiator down, put the brackets on and then make a template up with wood or cardboard, and then transfer it over on wall is the easiest way.
Starting point is inlet valve position.

Last edited:
Thanks both.

So it sounds like it's likely to be a case of some bracket adjustment but good chance I can make existing plumbing work by using the same tails.

I can live with that.

Begs the question why there isn't a standard for this? Seems crazy to me. Why have a system of radiator "types" without controlling relative position of plumbing inlet/outlet to bracket position? (rhetorical questions)

Sponsored Links
22 is a double with fins on both surfaces.
I prefer type 21 which is a double but one set of fins so narrower.
Type 22 600x600 will have slightly higher heat output cf 21 of same size... e.g. 1026 Watts vs 802 W for Flomasta brand for instance. That's over 20% less output!

That heat might matter to the OP more than the overall distance from wall or look?

Careful measurement of existing cf the different radiator maker diagrams will find a suitable match that will swap with minimum fuss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back