Domestic undercounter dishwashers impossible to find in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to replace my 18-year-old Candy DFI PLAN undercounter dishwasher. However, it seems nigh on impossible to find anything in the UK that is similar. All I can find in the UK webshops (e.g., Currys and AO) are integrated, semi-integrated, and freestanding dishwashers. Undercounter dishwashers seem only to be available for commercial use (such as these ones).

By contrast, domestic undercounter dishwashers seem to be available in abundance in continental Europe. For example, all of these in Holland, and all of these in Italy (they ship from Italy to the UK, but at very high cost).

Does anyone understand why this is? Or are such dishwashers available in the UK, but I'm just completely missing them somehow?

Important to know
There is a distinct difference between freestanding and undercounter dishwashers in continental Europe, and I implore that you look at the links I posted above (Holland and Italy) before commenting. In fact, this link (you will need to translate to English in your browser) describes the difference between integrated, semi-integrated, freestanding, and undercounter. In the UK, from what I can see, freestanding and undercounter are considered the same, but the term "undercounter" is used more for commercial dishwashers. This seems not to be the same in continental Europe where freestanding and undercounter are two distinct types of domestic dishwasher. And it's the latter that I'm after. In short, the difference is that an undercounter dishwasher is similar to freestanding (doesn't require a kitchen door panel on the front), but it has no sides or top, and has space for a plinth, similar to integrated dishwashers. So, in essence, it's like an integrated machine where there is space for a plinth, but also like a freestanding machine in that it doesn't require a decorative kitchen door. This doesn't seem to be available in the UK. If anyone can find a dishwasher that is a similar format to any of those in the Holland/Italy links above, then I will buy them a beer.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Plenty of under counter and built in dishwashers available to fit standard uk kitchens.

Blup

Plenty of under counter and built in dishwashers available to fit standard uk kitchens.

Blup
That doesn't answer my question. I'm looking for a specific type of undercounter dishwasher per the links I mentioned. I'm looking for one that does not require a decorative door, but has space for a plinth. Please could you take the time to look at the links I posted, and base your answer on that?

They tend to come as either fully integrated or semi integrated or free standing.

Generally free standing dishwashers are slotted under counter tops here. There’s no built under category.

Example:

It’s possible the counter tops in kitchens here are higher. They’re usually designed to be taller than a typical washing machine, something commonly slotted under counters in a kitchen or utility room.

Typical UK or Ireland kitchen will have worktops around 900-910mm high, and a typical dishwasher is 850mm height, giving plenty of space to slot in.

There’s never really been a special category for that in this market. It’s very unusual to have a free standing dishwasher that isn’t in a slot with a countertop above.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
They tend to come as either fully integrated or semi integrated or free standing.

Generally free standing dishwashers are slotted under counter tops here. There’s no built under category.

Example:

It’s possible the counter tops in kitchens here are higher. They’re usually designed to be taller than a typical washing machine, something commonly slotted under counters in a kitchen or utility room.

Typical UK or Ireland kitchen will have worktops around 900-910mm high, and a typical dishwasher is 850mm height, giving plenty of space to slot in.

There’s never really been a special category for that in this market. It’s very unusual to have a free standing dishwasher that isn’t in a slot with a countertop above.
Thanks for your reply. Glad you understand the particular problem I'm having.

The problem with me purchasing a freestanding machine is that I would have to cut away the plinth.

In the end, I bought the Bosch SMU4HAS48E dishwasher from a store in the Netherlands which I will transport to the UK. This is known as an undercounter dishwasher (as previously explained), and differs from a freestanding dishwasher in that it has space for a plinth, but does not have finishing panels on the top or side. But it is not like an integrated or semi-integrated dishwasher as it has a finishing door on the front panel.

I think the height is fine as it is the same height as my existing dishwasher (that I'm replacing) which is also an undercounter dishwasher, and is fitted in a standard kitchen in the UK.

Available in UK and opening allows for plinth, and door fixing kit?

Blup
That's fully integrated, exactly what I said I'm not looking for. Fully-integrated requires a door to be fitted to the front. Please read my original message properly, especially the 'Important to know' part.

Why not buy one from Europe and swap the plug? It might be cheaper as a day trip to save on shipping costs

Voltages are idenitical and you can then get exactly what you want

Regards

Tet

Why not buy one from Europe and swap the plug? It might be cheaper as a day trip to save on shipping costs

Voltages are idenitical and you can then get exactly what you want

Regards

Tet
You saw my earlier post about this, right? ;)

Btw, I live in the Netherlands and go to London each week, so this works out perfectly. I'm driving it over tomorrow in fact.

Apologies, my feed was very stale. Glad that you have a found a solution

Regards

Tet

You saw my earlier post about this, right? ;)

Btw, I live in the Netherlands and go to London each week, so this works out perfectly. I'm driving it over tomorrow in fact.
So you live in another country and expect to find you dishwasher in UK ?Smart move.

So you live in another country and expect to find you dishwasher in UK ?Smart move.
What does living in another country have to do with anything if all my properties are in the UK? You are aware that you can buy dishwashers on the Internet these days, right? And that they can be delivered and fitted by plumbers who can be communicated with via platforms you probably haven't heard of such as WhatsApp?

Maybe leave modern things to modern people, and learn to be less racist and sarcastic, then you won't get equally sarcastic responses that explain the anger you are now feeling as a result. OK, boomer?

What does living in another country have to do with anything if all my properties are in the UK? You are aware that you can buy dishwashers on the Internet these days, right? And that they can be delivered and fitted by plumbers who can be communicated with via platforms you probably haven't heard of such as WhatsApp?

Maybe leave modern things to modern people, and learn to be less racist and sarcastic, then you won't get equally sarcastic responses that explain the anger you are now feeling as a result. OK, boomer?
What race is your dishwasher?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back