Domestic Water Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I have a 6 month old Mira Sport Shower and it has always screamed when on, although you could stop it by adjusting the heat.
Just reciently, it has got worse and seems to scream at the exact temperature that would be just right to shower.

Mira have said they will come out to look at it, but if my water pressure is >5bar then I will be expected to pay around £65.

My :?: is : Is it common to get pressures of >5? i.e. should I pick up a gauge on the way home to test my pressure, or is >5 bar something that is very rare?

I live in east anglia. (with no header tank)

Any feedback would be great.

Many thanks,
Alex.

Sponsored Links
It is unusual but it is possible!

You can get pressure gauges at plumbers merchants, Screwfix and possibly B&Q and Wickes.

It might be better to get the gauge first and measure then decide what to so.

If its high then you can have a pressure reducing valve fitted, they cost about £25 for a 15 mm in line one. They also can make some noise!

Tony

The pressure was 4 bar. I think I will get mira in under the warranty...

Sponsored Links
Water supply pressure can vary at different times of day.

Try monitoring the pressure over a few hours.

You have only measured the static pressure.

Also measure the dynamic pressure, for example while using your shower!

Tony

it sounds to me like you need to fit a pressure reducing valve on your incoming mains water supply.

We had exactly same problem that occured 12 months after the Mira Sport was installed.

Pressure reducing valve cured it.

Hope that helps.

If the temperature dial was a clock, then the range that makes the scream would be 4 hours eg, 9 - 12 o-clock.

I tried reducing the flow into the house and this moved the problem further round the dial, eg 1 - 4 o-clock.

Moving the problem has solved it as the shower temperature we require is now out of the noise zone.

I'm not sure if I should report it or not.
If I fitted a pressure reducing valve just before the shower, then I guess it would sort me out, but would that just mask a possible fault?
My plumber says the sport should be ok up to 7 bar.

(thanks again for all your input)
Alex.

I've just re-read your original post, and your Mira Sport is only 6 months old? I believe this makes it still under manufactures guarantee. I can't see why they should charge you for a call out, even if the pressure is over 5 bar.

I've just checked the Mira website and the online manual lists the maximum static pressure to be 10 bar for the Sport (7.5,9.0 and 9.8KW). So I'm not sure why you've been told you will get charged if your pressure is over 10 bar.

So my adivce still remains the same, fit a pressure reducing valve, on your incoming main. So it reduces the preesure to all of your house.

However I think you could be justified haveing a visit from Mira, and you have a good argument not to pay, firstly because your shower is under guarentee, and secondly I doubt your static pressure is over 10 bar, which is what the Sport can operate up to.

Perhaps the maximum static pressure is 10 bar,

but the maximum static pressure without making a funny noise is 5 bar!

Or, perhaps the maximum operating pressure could be lower than the maximum static pressure?

Hello All,

Just to update;
Mira came and looked at the shower, and told me it had the wrong washer fitted during manufacture. They changed the flow module & now the shower is very quiet. (all done under warranty) :D

If it helps anyone else with the same issues, my shower was made in 2007. (Mira Sport 9.0)

Thanks again for all of your inputs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back