Don't know where to start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
Here's the basics of it. I have recently had some building work completed and the top of garden terraced. The main part of the grassed area was always poor grass and dandelions etc. now the builder has gone he said he would spread the 'good ' soil across the grass and that would be top soil and just re seed. Now... His idea of top soil and mine are obviously very different and there are a hell of a lot of stones,chalk etc in it. The garden is sloped and grass area is also sloped with still more weeds etc growing through crappy grass. Should I rotivate and rake it all out or where would I start, should I get a turf cutter and take top layer off,rotivate then more topsoil before turfing ?. Gonna do it myself as builder has gone and tbh don't particularly want him back anyway.

Help and ideas would be appreciated in relation to this.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
is the area meant to be sloped or do you need it to be levelled off?

if your happy with the level, pick out all the stones, treat the grass with a lawn weedkiller like resolve or verdone, give it a month to do its thing and buy in some more topsoil and rake it into the grass maybe 2 cms depth at a time until you are happy the quality of your top layer.

The whole garden is sloped but the levels are all over the place hence I was wondering about rotivating and raking flat to get level although sloped if you get my drift. Does this help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back