Gaps between turf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my side garden turfed around October of last year but it seems the rolls were subject to a little shrinkage meaning I have slight gaps in places which are as deep as the turf was thick. Obviously grass isn't growing in these areas. Should I fill the gaps with top soil and scatter grass seeds in the area or is there a better alternative?

Also, is there a product you would recommend to keep the turf looking nice and weed free? Something like Weed & Feed?

Sponsored Links
Gary do as you suggest, but cut the grass first as it will be a couple of weeks before the seed germinates and you can cut the grass again. Before you do cut the seeded grass walk on it to compact it, you dont want your lawnmower to lift it out.

Your turf possibly dried out a bit hence the gaps, or it was not laid close enough to the adjoining piece.

Dont use weed and feed until the new grass has established, follow the manufacturers instructions. There are many feed, weed & mosskiller combinations on the market, for use in the spring and summer. (Autumn feeds tend not to have weed & mosskiller in them).

Your welcome. It may be just as easy to mix the grass seed in with the top soil, and then fill the gaps.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back