door/architrave/skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking for a price for the following and I am hoping that someone can give me an indication

Remove standard old internal door and replace with new standard door from B&Q - cost of door £28
Remove existing architrave and replace with new architrave
Fit skirting board around whole room (medium size single garage conversion)
Materials included

I feel the price my current joiner is quoting at £310 is excessive - let me have yor thoughts please

We live in West Yorkshire

Sponsored Links
Lets say £25 for the architrave set (single side), £35 for cheap skirting, £28 for door, one day's labour £100, plus nails/glue/petrol etc. £250 sounds fair to me. Unless you want a nicer quality of materials.

We are looking for a price for the following and I am hoping that someone can give me an indication

Remove standard old internal door and replace with new standard door from B&Q - cost of door £28
Remove existing architrave and replace with new architrave
Fit skirting board around whole room (medium size single garage conversion)
Materials included

I feel the price my current joiner is quoting at £310 is excessive - let me have yor thoughts please

We live in West Yorkshire
Sounds reasonable, don't know many decent craftsmen charging less than £160 a day and that assumes there is no making good to walls after removal of skirting etc.
My architrave had been glued on and 50 panel pins used to fix, made a right mess on removal.

Lets say £25 for the architrave set (single side), £35 for cheap skirting, £28 for door, one day's labour £100, plus nails/glue/petrol etc. £250 sounds fair to me. Unless you want a nicer quality of materials.
Sounda fair to me too, and you'd pay more than £100 for labour.

Sponsored Links
My price would have been around the £250 mark with you supplying the materials and my making good any minor damage

one day's labour £100
Err. ... I don't know when you last employed a competent, trained joiner but you wouldn't get one in West Yorkshire at that rate for a day's work. Agency lads on site work can do better than that without any hassle

You don't need a trained joiner to hang a door and nail some skirting to the wall. A monkey could do it!

Out of interest, how much is a days labour these days?

Last edited:
You don't need a trained joiner to hang a door and nail some skirting to the wall. A monkey could do it
Which is presumably why I have to correct so many doors badly installed by handymen and novices. A new door in a properly installed new casing is a doddle - in an old casing in a house with any amount of settlement, however, it can take experience and skill to do well. The same goes for skirting and architraves

As to rate, you've seen others quote rates above. The old saying that you get what you pay for is very true when it comes to skilled tradesmen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back