door bell wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my door bell used to work fine. then i decided i would add another door bell in the porch. since i started messing with it, i now have no door bell.

i have tested the doorbell chime which shows a reading of 11.2. then i have located the wire that obviously feeds from this to the porch doorbell hole. this also shows a reading of 11.2. i then joined two other cables to this. one cable runs to the original door bell and the other to the kitchen however, the kitchen door bell chime hasnt worked for some time, i thik i might have stuck a picture up on th wall and gone thru the door bell cable running to that chime.

however, when i pull the main original doorbell the chime does not go off. the wiring is suchj that ther is one cable from the outside doorbell pull to the porch hole. then two cables run from there, one goes to the kitchen door bell chime and the other to the main chime which was working fine til i started messing with it.

i have tried wiring the various ends up to the mai door bell chime and still get nothing.

does any one have any ideas why this no longer works?

when i was messing with it i did drop the chime on the floor and now if i join the two ends of the cable together inside teh chime even this does not make the chime work. do you think maybe something in side the chime might have snapped off when i dropped it, so that regardless of power going to it, the chime wont chime? however, i dont even get a spark when i join the two ends together. should i get a spark when i joint them up like this?

Sponsored Links
I know this isn't the answer you probably want but could you not just buy a new wireless one?

I bought a twin chime and push button set up for only 9.99.

Put your voltmeter in place of the chime and get someone to press the push.

Get that person to press both your pushes at once to make sure you have not wired them in series :LOL:

You generally shouldn't short the wire looking for a spark - thats not really a great idea, although the transformer will generally limit the current well.

its not a transformer but battery operated.

what does "wired them in series" mean? and how can this be rectified?

Sponsored Links
look in the sticky for series / paralell

i put a drawing in there some time ago

You have posted 53 times and have not noticed the sticky,s.... :rolleyes:

Look at the top of the electrics page 2nd post down, there are sticky,s in each section covering commonly covered problems...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back