Friedland Door Bell Chime - Adding a 2nd Chime Box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Newbie Post so please be gentle!

I have a circa 1980's Friedland 107 Door Bell Chime (connected to a simple Bell Push)

P_20201115_132707.jpg

and it is connected via the usual bell wire to a Transformer next to the CU which is a Friedland 752 (8v / 1amp) :
P_20201115_130026.jpg

and I would like to add a 2nd Door Chime at the other end of the house.

I have bought the newer version of the original Chime - a Friedland (Honeywell) D107 so it is similar in looks and sound.

The original Door Chime is wired like this :

P_20201115_125931.jpg

Coming out of the Transformer at the CU is 2 wires :

P_20201115_130037.jpg

The new Door Chime is around 10m cable distance away.

How best to I tap into the original circuit to add the 2nd Door Chime, and what terminals on the new Door Chime should I connect it to?

Any advice would be very much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
New chime is wired the same way - terminals 2&3 on the old chime connect to 2&3 on the new one.
The transformer will need to be changed for a 2A version, that 1A transformer can only supply a single chime.

Thanks Flameport!

Stupid question - so the terminal numbers on the new one are not in the same position as the original Chime - so would it be 2 and 3 as it is labelled on the new one (in their different locations), or 0F and T3 as the terminals are positioned on the new one (to mirror the terminal locations on the old Chime)?

New Chime Wiring Diagram to assist:

new-bell-wiring.JPG

OF and T3, which are the two that have the thin copper wires that go to the solenoid inside the chime. The other two are just spares not connected to anything so they can be used to connect the push button to the chime if required, or for when the chime is used with batteries and not a transformer.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for another stupid question. The only section of the wiring I can easily get to is the 2 wires coming out of the transformer. Can I tap into it here?

So it would effectively be like this (with the old bell chime on the left and the new one on the right):

new-bell-wiring2.JPG

Would this work? Or is there a problem with it being on the other side of the bell push?

Thanks Flameport, your advice has been really helpful.

So I have temp connected the 2nd Bell Chime from the terminals within the 1st Bell Chime, and I can now get the 2nd Chime to quietly Dong (it doesn't Ding!).

P_20201115_163435.jpg

P_20201115_163431.jpg

Am I right in saying that is due to the length of temp cable I am using (and a 2amp Transformer would fix that problem as you suggest?).

Of course, the above is superceeded by the fact I cannot get to the wiring that goes from the 1st Bell Chime to the Bell Push, as it is all buried under plaster and within the frame of my new Porch! Bugger!

Is there any way around this?

Thanks Flameport, your advice has been really helpful.

So I have temp connected the 2nd Bell Chime from the terminals within the 1st Bell Chime, and I can now get the 2nd Chime to quietly Dong (it doesn't Ding!).

View attachment 211532

View attachment 211533

Am I right in saying that is due to the length of temp cable I am using (and a 2amp Transformer would fix that problem).

Of course, the above is superceeded by the fact I cannot get to the wiring that goes from the 1st Bell Chime to the Bell Push, as it is all buried under plaster and within the frame of my new Porch! Bugger!

Is there any way around this?
Yes. use a 18V 1A transformer and wire them in series.

Try connecting the temporary wire to your new chime directly to the existing bell wire and do not connect it to your old chime to prove your new wiring is connected to the right terminals, and also that one chime works fine but having two together overloads the transformer.

It's been 30 years since I looked but IIRC the coil is in the order of 15Ω so the current will be in the order of 0.5A, therefore it's not usually an overload issue, it's more usually due to voltdrop in the wiring and the only way to overcome that is to increase the transformer voltage. Tacking the second on to the first like this will usually result in a very noticeable difference in performance between the two, it will be improved if you can find the junction between the existing 3 cables and connect there to eliminate some of the volt drop to the first chime.

For what it's worth the twice I've been in this position I've ended up running in series, one I used 2x 8V transformers in series as the second was already to hand but the other situation had well over 100m of cable so I used 24V transformer [stock items for me].
Other benefit is the second chime can be added anywhere in the circuit without it making a difference.

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-15_16-51-5.png
    upload_2020-11-15_16-51-5.png
    143.7 KB · Views: 2,542
Last edited:
I struggle to get this into previous post.
upload_2020-11-15_19-58-41.png

Last edited:
Try connecting the temporary wire to your new chime directly to the existing bell wire and do not connect it to your old chime to prove your new wiring is connected to the right terminals, and also that one chime works fine but having two together overloads the transformer.

OK mate, I shall do this in the morning (y)

Can I wire it like below and beef up the transformer if required? :

Bell2.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back