Door Closers...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

If a door closer starts leaking fluid (and it no longer correctly controls the door) is it time to replace it or are they (easily) repairable?

I can pick up replacement closers at Travis for £15 each so if it's going to take me an hour or so to service one, I'd prefer to just replace (I'm not paying for materials).

Co-incidentally, what is the oil that they have inside? Is it purely for lubrication or is the closing action carried out by some of of hydraulic mechanism?

Ta!!

Sponsored Links
its the hydraulics of the closer itself,the seals fail over time and it loses the fluid and pressure,new 1 needed,dont think you can service them anyway,and at 15 quid seems a pointless exercise in my opinion. ;)

If its leaking oil bin it, but fitting a replacement for £ 15.00 seems to be too cheap.
It all depends upon the level of use that the door will get. For a commercial installation such as an entrance door on a block of flats then have a look at the Briton 2003 range.
I do not know what oil is used inside but the viscosity can effect the closing speed and latching movement.
DC
Teamlocksmiths.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back