Door fit in a supporting wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

Just bought a house, 3 years old and wish to fit a door between kitchen and garage.
The wall is the outside wall of the house so main wall.
My question is, is it just a case of cutting the door hole with a stil saw and then fitting frame, or do I need a lentil. Also, do I have to soprot the brick work while fitting lentil?

Carl

Sponsored Links
If you're going for a lentil I'd suggest avoiding the baked variety, as they tend to cause unwanted gas emissions :)

You'll need a lintel - that wall will either be supporting the floor above, the roof or one hell of alot of bricks - or quite likely all of the above.

Catnic do a good range of lintels which will fit into any type of wall construction. Google them and take a look at what will suit your situation best.

Building control would be worried about your emissions as well. You will need a fire door and ensure there can be no escape of exhaust fumes.

I was thinking of an RSJ type lentile?
Is it just a case of cutting the hole and fitting lintle or do I need all support jacks etc?

Sponsored Links
You'll need to fit some temporary support (acrows/strongboys) to hold it up while you put the lintel in. No offense meant, but it doesn't sound like you're very familiar with this kind of job. I'd suggest you get a builder in and get it done properly.

And you will require a Building Control Ispection and Approval for this work.

Make sure it is a 1/2 hr fire door with a self closer on it ,

that there is either a step of 100mm down to the garage floor , or a threshold providing the same ,

close up the cavity with an insulated cavity closer

and that you fit a lentil , IG L1/s or similar

You "should" submit a building regs application for this work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back