Door Frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed some new door frames and doors. The doors are white but not shiny, almost like a matt finish. Therefore I do not want to use a gloss or satin wood. Is it possible to use a Matt Emulsion on the new door frames or will it just chip off in seconds?

Please note i do not want to paint the doors, it's just the new frames.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Not a practice that I would normaly recomend, sounds as if your new doors have been factory primed. Firstly you will need to lightly sand taking care not to breakthrough the primer, dust off and apply an oil based undercoat, when fully cured again lightly sand and give it two coats of Dulux Trade Diamond Matt.

As I said not something I would normaly recomend but if you follow the above advice I dont see a problem useing this tactic.

Dec.

Sorry I misread your post, if the frames are unpainted you will first need to apply a knotting agent followed by a primer and two undercoats. Not forgetting to sand back between coats, then you should be fine to apply your Diamond Matt.

I apoligise for my error, lets put it down to age ;)

Dec.

Nope, was completely my fault. I worded it very badly.

I assume an Eggshell is similar to gloss and Satin in the shine department?

Thanks for your help though

Sponsored Links
You'll find eggshell or any other matt finish works like a finger dirt magnet. Satinwood is far better.

Well that is very kind of you.

With regard to eggshell and satin finishes they are very similar they have more of a glint rather than shine. If you follow my advice you would be fine to apply Diamond Matt, it has good holding qualities and is washable without becoming shiny. An excellent paint system.

Dec.

Joe.

I fail to see the purpose behind your post, firstly eggshell does not produce a matt finish. also any paint or varnish system will be subject to finger marks on such a substrate, I am of the belief here that the op wants advice regarding a matt finish therefore the advice of which I gave him will produce the effect he wants.

The Dulux Diamond range is a quality paint system that not only produces a suberb finish but is also durable in the extreme, If this product is used in the correct situations it will open up another avenue of which the decorator can use to his or hers advantage.

Dec.

It's called eggshell for a reason. It dries to a finish that is like the shell of an egg. It takes a few weeks to do so - but it has no shine when fully cured. It also gets very dirty. Tried it myself.

Thank you Joe for the advice, much appreciated. Yet I have yet to see a matt eggshell even free range, I am now becoming both bemused and interested regarding some of your posts.

Yet I feel we should leave that for another time, so please enjoy whats left of the weekend however I have I am of of the thoughts that we will meet again ;)

Dec.

If the OP follows my advice he won't go far wrong. It's advice from experience in the real world.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back