Used the wrong Paint on door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I found a tin of matt paint and thought i could throw it on my door and frame (internal)

Original was the shiny finish and had gone a discoloured yellow

Now the new paint I have put on is quite streaky, can see paint brush lines

I have since read up that I should have used a satin wood paint to get a matt effect after sanding down the shine off the old paint

So where should I go now?

Strip new paint and old paint off with paint stripper?

Or just sand down new paint and use as an undercoat to the satinwood stuff?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I take it when you say matt paint I presume you mean emulsion, if so just give it a good sand back and you should be fine.

Dec

Sponsored Links
If the matt you applied doesn't come away when sanding, then you should be ok to paint over it after you have lightly sanded the whole frame.

If you didn't sand the original shiny paint (presumably gloss?) then you might find that when you start to sand the matt it will come off easily. If so, you may be better off removing it all back to the original gloss with hot water and a scourer. You will then only need to provide a key for the new satin to adhere to, so there is no need to sand back to bare wood. All you need to do is take the shine off the gloss and clean the dust before repainting.

Thanks both

I have bought some paint stripper and thinking do it properly this time

So stripped matt off, (should be easy) sand shine off gloss, prime and satinwood

If you intend to use paint stripper then you will need to strip right back to bare timber. You won't be able to just remove the matt as the stripper will remove the underlying paint as well. It's far better to try the sanding method first to see how well your paint has adhered otherwise you can end up doing a lot more work than is necessary.

ok sanding it is

what grade of sand paper should i be using?

Does the brand of sand paper really matter?

Brand doesn't matter but type and grade does. Aluminium oxide paper will scratch and more than likely start to remove the matt. In this situation I would try 300 grit silicone carbide paper to start and if it doesn't remove the paint (anything coarser almost certainly will) then the matt should have adhered well enough to leave it in place. You can then use the same sandpaper to do the entire frame, dust off with a damp cloth and apply your satin (2 coats or one if you use something like Crown Solo).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back