Door Handles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a few door handle that are loose and come away from the wood, I dont want to have to replace all the doors, I can look at new handle but the new ones would need to be bigger than the old ones as the wood wont take new screws.

Is there any kind of wood filer like a silicone that can restore the wood build and take a new screw?

I have attached some photos

Attachments

• IMG_8921.jpg
    IMG_8921.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_8922.jpg
    IMG_8922.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 196
Sponsored Links
Is this an option

Through Wood, Fill-in With Toothpicks (or matches)

This toothpick trick has been around forever and you don’t need any special products to get her done.

• Fill the hole with any liquid glue that can be used on wood (like Elmer’s).
  • Jam in several wood toothpicks until they’re very snug and entirely fill the hole.
  • Allow to dry completely, then snap off toothpick ends so they’re flush with surface.
  • Drive your screw through the repaired hole!

That type of handle is secured by thru bolts ( double ended screws ) because there is little timber to secure too , even in perfect condition .
The handles need securing well so when you pull the handle it causes no strain on the plate .

like this

s-l225.jpg

also known as "sleeve nuts" or "door handle screws"

very useful and neat things to have, especially if you are cursed with hollow doors

You can even buy sleeve nuts from engineering suppliers in quite large sizes, useful for securing door bolts and reinforcing plates where you have used a coach bolt from the outside.

Sponsored Links
Its a common problem, its because the door has a bathroom lock, so once the mortice is chopped out there isnt much meat left on the door.

Its a combination of that and the fashion for handles on a round rose rather than a full backplate.

I think some locks are designed with holes that fit the sleeve nuts, but Im not too sure. I expect your other handles are fitted on tubular latches.

Its a common problem, its because the door has a bathroom lock, so once the mortice is chopped out there isnt much meat left on the door.

Its a combination of that and the fashion for handles on a round rose rather than a full backplate.

I think some locks are designed with holes that fit the sleeve nuts, but Im not too sure. I expect your other handles are fitted on tubular latches.
Tube latches don’t present a problem as the screws pass above and below it .
The screws only prevent the plates spinning , the main work is done by the spindle as the handles clamp on either side and are secured with grub screws .

Tube latches don’t present a problem as the screws pass above and below it .
The screws only prevent the plates spinning , the main work is done by the spindle as the handles clamp on either side and are secured with grub screws .

I have seen so many handles recently that have become lose because the supposed chippy didn't understand what the grub screws are for.

/badlyRatedPeople

Is this an option

Through Wood, Fill-in With Toothpicks (or matches)

This toothpick trick has been around forever and you don’t need any special products to get her done.

• Fill the hole with any liquid glue that can be used on wood (like Elmer’s).
  • Jam in several wood toothpicks until they’re very snug and entirely fill the hole.
  • Allow to dry completely, then snap off toothpick ends so they’re flush with surface.
  • Drive your screw through the repaired hole!

I purchased a box of matches last week for that specific purpose. I use superglue and if need be I use my trusty knife to whittle down the matches to make the tight fit.

I have seen so many handles recently that have become lose because the supposed chippy didn't understand what the grub screws are for.

/badlyRatedPeople
Yes it’s a common problem with so called professionals not understanding instructions ( often because they know better than to read them).

I think some locks are designed with holes that fit the sleeve nuts, but Im not too sure.
Yep. Pretty common on commercials and larger multiple occupancy builds in my experience. The lock makers often make it a condition of the warranty that the sleeve nuts are installed

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back