Door keys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While I was abroad recently, a leak from the flat above mine ran through my flat and into the flat below. The owners of the flat below broke into my flat thinking that my flat was the source of the leak, and fitted new locks. The keys for these were then given to the owners of the flat above mine who arranged for a builder to repair the damage to my flat. The keys were then left for me on my return.

My problem is that I am concerned that I don't have the correct number of keys. There is an Ingersoll lock for which I have two keys and a Chubb lock for which I have one key. I am surprised that there are not more keys than this. Can anyone tell me how many keys are usually supplied with these two types of lock?

Sponsored Links
Chubbs usually come with 2 or three depending on type. I think someone has kept one or more of your keys. Even if you get the full set back, you have no way of knowing that no-one has made a copy :cry:

However:

If you take the Chubb out (this usually only needs two screws), and take it to a Chubb Centre (phone first) lock shop, he can fit a new set of levers or detainers to it, with a new set of keys, for a modest price.

If cost is no problem, then call a locksmith to fit a replacement.

The Ingersoll, is that the one with the large oval cylinder (very expensive)?

Again you can buy a new cylinder for that. You can fit it yourself, or have a locksmith. If you are getting someone round, give them all the information about the existing locks first - they should be able to fit an identical replacement.

If you contact your insurance company and say you believe keys to be missing, they may even send a locksmith round to do it all for you.

But take care to have exactly the same locks fitted or you may end up with unsightly holes in the door.

Isn't that expensive? It cost £250 for the two new locks to be fitted. I'm concerned about how I'm going to get anyone to reimburse me if I do that.

Edit: Sorry this was in response to Breezer's reply - I hadn't seen yours when I wrote this, John D.

Sponsored Links
Arbu said:
Isn't that expensive? It cost £250 for the two new locks to be fitted. I'm concerned about how I'm going to get anyone to reimburse me if I do that.

then

(1) call your insurance co

or

(2) get your screwdriver out

Changing is much easier than fitting, as you have no chiselling or drilling to do.

(1) How do I persuade my insurance company that there are missing keys unless I find out the answer to my original question?

(2) This will still cost time and money. Again it would not be better to find out the answer to my original question to see whether it's really worth doing this?

Good grief! If you don't mind other people having keys to your flat, then don't bother. You may as well leave the door open.

This Chubb lock comes with 2 keys. It is the British Standard one fitted to lots of homes. type 3G114e http://www.locksonline.co.uk/acatalog/Chubb_3G114_British_Standard__BS3621__Dead_Lock.html

This Chubb also comes with2 keys and is from the better 5-detainer range. type 3G110 http://www.locksonline.co.uk/acatalog/Chubb_3G110.html

You might be happier walking to your local lock dealer and looking for yourself.

JohnD said:
Chubbs usually come with 2 or three depending on type. I think someone has kept one or more of your keys. Even if you get the full set back, you have no way of knowing that no-one has made a copy :cry:

However:

If you take the Chubb out (this usually only needs two screws), and take it to a Chubb Centre (phone first) lock shop, he can fit a new set of levers or detainers to it, with a new set of keys, for a modest price.

If cost is no problem, then call a locksmith to fit a replacement.

The Ingersoll, is that the one with the large oval cylinder (very expensive)?

Again you can buy a new cylinder for that. You can fit it yourself, or have a locksmith. If you are getting someone round, give them all the information about the existing locks first - they should be able to fit an identical replacement.

If you contact your insurance company and say you believe keys to be missing, they may even send a locksmith round to do it all for you.

But take care to have exactly the same locks fitted or you may end up with unsightly holes in the door.

Sorry, only just noticed your response quoted above! Thanks for the advice. The Ingersoll lock is a rim lock, and the Chubb one a mortice lock - I don't know if that helps. In addition to the problem with the keys, the locks have been badly fitted - the door is now hard to close. So I think I have to get a locksmith in. Whether I can recover the costs from anyone is something I'll have to worry about later.

Your Ingersoll is probably one of these. It retails at about £100 but the cylinder alone is a little less. It comes with 3 keys.

ingersollsc71.gif

http://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Ingersoll.html

Almost all Chubbs are mortice locks and vary from about £30 upwards. The one on my house retails at £84

If your not happy with the original fitting, then call the original locksmith back and get him to refit them under his guarantee. I'd also charge the cost of a new cylinder and replacement lever pack to the guy who broke into your flat - as it's now less secure than it was previously. Was any damage done to the door when the flat owner above had to break in, or did they manage to open non-destructively ?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back