Lost key need a replacement :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

So not long ago I moved in to my new house but the previous tenants failed to give the landlord the keys to the window back saying they'd lost them.

All the windows in the house are locked which is so frustrating, especially when the shower is on in the bathroom.

I've tried a flat screwdriver etc to no luck.

Heres a pic of the lock:
dzxw75.jpg

Would anyone know were I could buy a replacement key?

Thanks,

Rachel xo

Sponsored Links
I ordered 2 which came today, unfortunately they are just a bit too long and 'fat' to fit the lock.

Would anyone know a smaller version of this?

I ordered 2 which came today, unfortunately they are just a bit too long and 'fat' to fit the lock.

Wont they take themn back and let you try another?

Sponsored Links
look for a neighbour with the same windows and ask if you can borrow or photograph their key. put the key on a ruler to get the scale.

I'd say that it was very much the landlords problem!

He (or she) should be sorting this out for you as a matter of urgency since you currently have NO means of escape through the windows in the event of a fire.

If they have to call in a locksmith then so be it - they can apply to their Tenancy Deposit Scheme to claim back the cost of this from the previous tenants security deposit.

You could try and ask some neighbours if you can try their keys out then get a matching set

no, I think she shoukd try the neighbours :LOL:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
crank's suggestion is very good, send them your picture and careful measurements, see what they suggest. If you can photo your "wrong" key next to the keyhole they may offer the next size down.

At a guess i'd say its the first one here....

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/handles/window-handle-keys/

These guys are really really helpful, give them a call or email them the picture to confirm that is the right key, looks like it is to me

crank's suggestion is very good, send them your picture and careful measurements, see what they suggest. If you can photo your "wrong" key next to the keyhole they may offer the next size down.

At a guess i'd say its the first one here....

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/handles/window-handle-keys/

These guys are really really helpful, give them a call or email them the picture to confirm that is the right key, looks like it is to me

Tried both their suggestions with no luck :(

Hi guys,

I got a kb824 and the tiny bit that goes in is still a bit too thick so it won't fit at all

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320662247...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3535wt_1166

The landlord has been absent for the past few months (rent is through standing order)

The neighbors all have completely different windows too as I asked

Looks like I'm stuck in a stuffy house!

The landlord being absent does not prevent them from calling a locksmith in.

Just as they'd have to do if the heating/electrics/plumbing packed up. The longer you are unable to open the windows the greater the risk you run of being trapped in a fire.

If it were me then I'd be contacting the landlord or agent and notifying them that you consider this to be a serious safety hazard with the property, and that while you are happy to help in any way you can - letting tradesmen in, paying tradesmen in lieu of rent, etc. - you require the situation to be rectified as a matter of urgency.

If I wasn't satisfied with the response I'd contact them again and say that if the landlord hasn't arranged for this to be sorted within 7 days you would request that your local council carry out a HHSRS (Housing Health and Safety Rating System) inspection on the property as a first step towards enforcement action.

Further info here -

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/homeandcommunity/privaterenting/repairsandstandards/dg_189198

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back