Replacing Window handles with keyless ones?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After making another post just now, I just realised I can replace my window handles!
We had new windows fitted just over 1 year ago.

I don't like having keys.
Silly keys get lost. Get bent.
Worst situation: get locked and then get lost.

I was thinking of replacing with no key ones.
Just had a look - can't find anywhere!
Is it a legal requirement to have keys or something?

I do have kids so wouldn't want to make a security hazard - but doesn't make any difference actually as I always keep keys unlocked. If any handle is locked - it's because one of the kids has been messing around with its!

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
show us a pic of your existing handles.

Have you read your home insurance policy?

insurance policy?
i guess it's a requirement always?

nothing special about them
like this one:

31t3yFN3bCL.jpg

Most insurance policy's state that window must be key lockable.
If your determined to do it search for "espag egress handle" they generally have a green button.

Personally I would just bag up all the keys somewhere safe and only lock them when going away for more than a day or so

Sponsored Links
I'm with Gazman16 - just take the keys out and use the handles you have.

Regarding insurance - your insurance company should ask if you have locking window handles, and in my experience when you say no it adds a pittance to your annual quote. My sister in law works in the insurance industry and says that if you've said you have locks then they must be used at all times or the insurer can wriggle out of a claim (although I've never read/heard of this actually happening). Apparently alarms are the same ie they must be used all the time if you've said you have one (and possibly professionally installed and annually serviced too).

i think i'll leave the keys in. (y)
@alan333 thanks for letting me know what type of handle i need - one handle is faulty and needs to be replaced.

I have never fully understood the desperate need for locking window handles. Anyone wishing to open them , even if unlocked , has to been inside the building , yes ok a burglar could smash the glass and just open an unlocked handle , but if they find it locked they will just go through the broken glass. Anyway a quick press with a screwdriver in the right place and they can be unlocked ( had to do this many a time on windows we've replaced and keys lost! ) and also nearly all keys are available on line , so any burglar could well have a key already as most of you know , handles from the same suppliers generally have the same keys.
To me they are a fire hazard. especially if locked closed and keys put in a ' special place'

Please do not get me wrong all windows we supply and fit are supplied with locking window handles!

I have never fully understood the desperate need for locking window handles. Anyone wishing to open them , even if unlocked , has to been inside the building , yes ok a burglar could smash the glass and just open an unlocked handle , but if they find it locked they will just go through the broken glass. Anyway a quick press with a screwdriver in the right place and they can be unlocked ( had to do this many a time on windows we've replaced and keys lost! ) and also nearly all keys are available on line , so any burglar could well have a key already as most of you know , handles from the same suppliers generally have the same keys.
To me they are a fire hazard. especially if locked closed and keys put in a ' special place'

Please do not get me wrong all windows we supply and fit are supplied with locking window handles!

Thats pretty much my exact thoughts on it too. Its the insurance company's that demand them.
Its mainly due to the old peg stay windows, A few bumps or taps with a hammer from outside and they are open. Obviously there are not too many of those abut anymore but I can see that its easier for insurance company to just say they must all be key lockable.

As someone mentioned the other day your probably best off not saying they are key lockable when getting insurance. It makes very little difference to the cost but they could try to wiggle out of a claim if not locked.

Apologies for hijacking this thread but I vaguely recall window locks that could be locked by pressing the button and then using a key to unlock. Are these still available?

Apologies for hijacking this thread but I vaguely recall window locks that could be locked by pressing the button and then using a key to unlock. Are these still available?
My mum had upvc windoze fitted in about 1990 with these handles! Push to lock, key popped the button so you could turn handle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back